Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 14 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Re: What beer are you drinking, Spring 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Special Reserve View Post
    I believe that Doom release date is tomorrow (4-22). I've seen where brewers release their product early and then embargo it to a set date. I wonder how good retailers are at following along with the game plan.

I'm going to ask my guy on Tuesday.
    Retailers are terrible at following directions because there are no repercussions for doing so. The Makers Mark Keeneland bottles that are released each year are a great example. We were told not to release until Friday April 12th. Nearly every store in my area was selling them as soon as they received them.

Doom should be making its way into distribution this week.

Guru

This afternoon, I had a Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock with some grilled brats. It was excellent.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Enthusiast

Green River Rayon Vert today. What a great Saison style of beer.

Virtuoso

I had the honor of hanging out with Brett at Delilah's this afternoon for their Whiskey Barrel Aged Beer Tasting. The GI BCB Cherry Rye took the cake for me with a 2010 KBS following quite a bit behind it. Other notables were the SN BA Bigfoot, which was a huge improvement on the fresh one I had just the other week (and one that I would love to taste again after a few years) and the Central Waters BA Peruvian Morning. Firestone Walker was sinfully under-represented with only two bombers of 14th Ann from 2010 that I just missed out on, having gotten there a little more than 2 hours after the event started.

Still, a good time, though not exactly cheap. The event proved to me again how partial I am to BA Imperial Stouts over any other kind of style aged in a barrel. I love IPAs, APAs, DIPAs, but after that, my preference these days falls to the equally dramatic opposite end of the spectrum: I want my BA beers huge and thick. Otherwise, just pour me a pale ale.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Connoisseur

Aaron, glad you could come hang out! My favorite was my Cuvee of BCS Cherry Rye and 2013 KBS. 1:1 ratio. After I got done pouring I just sat down and enjoyed the decadence.
    Bourbon only requires a glass.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by brettckeen View Post
    Aaron, glad you could come hang out! My favorite was my Cuvee of BCS Cherry Rye and 2013 KBS. 1:1 ratio. After I got done pouring I just sat down and enjoyed the decadence.
    Yeah, that sounds like it could work... !!!

On Saturday I finally had a Pipeworks beer that I thoroughly enjoyed: Cascade Ninja made from cascade hops grown locally. The hops were not as focused as I usually prefer in a hoppy beer, but they were super fresh and meaty and made for a IIPA that was a feast of pine and citrus. This is a great food beer as well as afternoon sipper. No hint of the booziness I've gotten from Pipeworks' other beers. Outstanding brew that I hope I come across again soon!
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Enthusiast

Hopslam with dinner.

Guru

Great Lakes Rye of the Tiger. Very floral.

Guru

Tasting of 7 different Founders beers at the Tower tasting room hosted by Founders area rep Jonathan!

photo.JPG
    Beers included:

All Day IPA
    Centennial IPA
    Porter
    Dirty Bastard
    Backwoods Bastard
    Breakfast Stout
    Kentucky Breakfast Stout

My first opportunity to try KBS. While it was quite good (in fact they were all quiet good) I think I am still a bigger fan of the Backwoods Bastard.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Tasting of 7 different Founders beers at the Tower tasting room hosted by Founders area rep Jonathan!

photo.JPG
    Beers included:

All Day IPA
    Centennial IPA
    Porter
    Dirty Bastard
    Backwoods Bastard
    Breakfast Stout
    Kentucky Breakfast Stout

My first opportunity to try KBS. While it was quite good (in fact they were all quiet good) I think I am still a bigger fan of the Backwoods Bastard.
    Backwoods is excellent. I prefer it to KBS. KBS, like pliny built its reputation because it was a groundbreaking example of an emerging style in craft beer. Many other places have offerings that are just as good (or better) without the years of hype.