Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What beer are you drinking, Spring 2013

Atwater Block Maibock. One of my spring favorites.

Advanced Taster

Opened a Manhattan Project from Quaff Brothers (The Party Source guys) last night. It's just an incredible mixture that comes as close to a cocktail as any beer I've ever had while still clearly being a beer. Great balance with enough rye and cherry with just that touch of bitters. I think it's great, but I only have 2 bottles left and they've sold out at TPS so it'll probably be a couple months before I open another one.

Virtuoso

Yesterday with lunch I cracked a GL Eye of the Tiger IPA. Nice rye influence on this with herbal/grassy notes and a tight spice leading to bitter hops. I like the rye influence in this better than in FFF's Rye'da Tiger, but the hops can't really compare. The Rye'da is a DIPA and comes in 4% stronger, I believe, but FFF just always manages to weave that spun sugar to offset the bitter hop finish. The rye malt in EofT brings a sweetness, but it's entirely different and not as fresh tasting as FFF. Still, this is a nice IPA.

I then moved on to a 2013 KBS. This was all burnt coffee and bitter chocolate. Very much like the regular BS but with a little more body and flavors magnified. (As I understand it, the beer that becomes KBS uses more coffee and chocolate than the regular BS, no?) The bourbon influence was all but hidden behind the very forward burnt/bitter character of this; very aggressive with these dark coffee/chocolate notes, and they kind of stamped out the bourbon barrel complexity, relegating it to a cool, boozy background. Some warm, creamy vanilla started emerging as the beer warmed up, but it never reached anywhere near the warm bourbon booziness and sweet malted milk chocolate of BCBS. I was able to snag a few of these, so I hope that age tones down the bitterness and brings forth more bourbon barrel complexity.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Guru

Woohoo! Scored one 4 pack of KBS today. Hey better than nothing. Got some Zombie Dust, too. Celebrating with a KBS from last year.

Enthusiast

Thanks to one of the kind Chicago sb.com guys that we all know I am enjoying some New Glarus IIPA. Thank you sir! You are sb.com advocacy at its finest.

Virtuoso

Having a Chimay Red tonight after getting off work. Been a long time since I've had the Red. Definitely as good as I remember it.

Virtuoso

Chimay White (Cinq Cents) tonight:

Disciple

Must be a Trappist vibe going around,as for I had a Chimay Blue this evening to start things off.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

had a 2012 bcs while grilling a steak. Then some Orin Swift Abstract and now contemplating batch 9000 or 10000 from bells..

Enthusiast

Had an FBS and a KBS back to back tonight. Makes the differences between the two beers rather stark, and the FBS seem like Guinness. So much more chocolate, coffee and (of course) barrel in the KBS. I'm a KBS fan boy, mos def.
    "Delicious... bourbon. Brownest of the brown liquors... so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you?" -Lionel Hutz