Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: That terrific KY terroir

Indiana has two NDP labels: Spring Mill and W.H. Harrison. Tasted Harrison and its not bad. I believe both are LDI/MGP juice. Will support the locals with an occasional purchase but will always go to KY for my wheaters.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfish View Post
    If terroir is defined as the influence of place on taste, just how significant is the KY terroir on the great taste of bourbon?...
    Conversely, though, one can't deny the significance of the great taste of bourbon on the "terroir" of the great state of Kentucky. It makes me want to go there and return .. and return .. and return.
    Jon

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by HighHorse View Post
    Conversely, though, one can't deny the significance of the great taste of bourbon on the "terroir" of the great state of Kentucky. It makes me want to go there and return .. and return .. and return.
    Lucky for me I can live in Boston because they keep sending those fine Kentucky bottles over this way...

Connoisseur

We are making some nice stuff NY, but I have had this conversation with Steve Nalley, and he like me for sure thinks there is something about where a bourbon is made and how it tastes. While our bourbon favor is like that out of KY, there is something a little different, I think it is corn mainly, but climate has an effect as well.

Guru

Tom I assume you mean the climate in which the barrels are aged?

Connoisseur

yes and in weather. In Steve's case altitude effects how that still runs. On a pot like we use for now, I do not know about a column but will soon find out, but the weather can change during a run and you will have to adjust the thing. Barometric pressure I say. And weather here changes a lot. If you do not like the weather, wait a minute, it will change.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by HighHorse View Post
    Very good point. I was thinking along the same lines. Kentucky is hard to beat!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

I was thinking of latitude Tom but overlooked something, don't you guys get the Lake effect weather in your area?

Connoisseur

yep a lot of lake effect. May be while the still react like it does. Weather changes quick. Yesterday morning I was mashing and you have to go outside to open the bins while you are milling. When I mash it is straight through the mill and to the cooker all at one time. Anyway First cook it was snowing, and hour or so later, the next cook it was raining. Weird.

Guru

Ah, thought so, unique climatic conditions.