Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Trippah and Admin

Re: George Dickel Private Barrel Selection Program

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    The 9 and 14 will be officially available in Michigan on September 1. $45 for the 9, $65 for the 14.
    These hit the Ohio list for January but are not widely available yet. Pricing is roughly the same with tax included.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    These hit the Ohio list for January but are not widely available yet. Pricing is roughly the same with tax included.
    sounds like its a continued release then? I hope so......

Taster

The grocery store by my house just put out a shelf full of 9yr since last time I was there. Was tempted to buy one at fox's recommendation but held back since I had just bought a few bottles recently that I've yet to open. Hopefully it sticks around a while and I'll be back for one.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by adub23 View Post
    Hopefully it sticks around a while and I'll be back for one.
    I've said that, more than once, wrong every time.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

It's hung around here a lot longer than any limited not named Woodford Masters.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    sounds like its a continued release then? I hope so......
    I posted in another thread (couldn't remember where this one was at the time) Diageo made comment of 300 barrels of this being sold. No comment to "all at once" or "X/month for Y months" but sounds like more out there than you may have thought.

All that being said....300 barrels will likely have a massive variation in taste profile between them.

That comment was from the November Diageo investors meeting. They said they had sold 200 barrels and expect to sell 300. They also said they were going to gradually raise the price as they thought it was worth more than they are now charging. They mentioned $19 for Dickel 8 and $24 for Dickel 12

Guru

Worth more means they think they can get more.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by VAGentleman View Post
    That comment was from the November Diageo investors meeting. They said they had sold 200 barrels and expect to sell 300. They also said they were going to gradually raise the price as they thought it was worth more than they are now charging. They mentioned $19 for Dickel 8 and $24 for Dickel 12
    I've been seeing those prices in the Twin Cities for a while now (and higher). But I've seen it on special quite a bit in the last month or two, so maybe they're using the JC Penny pricing model.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by VAGentleman View Post

'worth it' is a subjective term. As much as I like it, I do think it is already pushing the price border of 'worth it'. Dickel is a peculiar profile that isnt as widely liked as regular bourbon is, yet other companies....say, Beam.....regularly offer 9 year old, 100 proof KC across the entire country at a regular price of just below $30 in most places. I rave about this 9 year Dickel more than any other whiskey, but if it crosses the $50 mark, I will not buy it anymore. That's just my personal rule. Honestly, I think it is 'worth' $40 for the 9 year.

At more than twice the price of 90 proof Dickel 12, $45 has to be very profitable for them as it is. I wouldnt imagine that a brand with limited appeal (relative to other actual bourbons) would want to scare off customers by significantly raising prices, but who knows the logic large corporations use.

$24 for Dickel 12? Maybe if it were actually 12 years old......you are then getting into the price category of EC12, which IS actually 12 years old and not just #12

The bourbon market offers a lot of choices from a lot of competitors. Like it or not, you have to compete with other companies offering similar proof/age/profile targets.....unless you have marketing geniuses that can fool people into dropping large chunks of their wallets for 'limited' this-or-that, or status symbols
    Last edited by 393foureyedfox; 01-30-2014 at 09:04.