Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 19 of 46 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: What Did You Pass Up Today? Spring '13

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Passed on a slew of Jeffers Creek 6yo today. First time I have noticied it in my area. It may be Barton instead of BT juice but they seemed to have plenty of Weller bottles left over!

On the plus side it is is 6yo age stated whiskey. But at 80 proof it didn't have much appeal for me. Well, none actually. And if they aren't selling it under their own name, whether it be Barton or BT, it makes me wonder what they are trying to get rid of. Inferior product I presume until proven otherwise.

A bit interesting that the DBA, Kings Mark Company, is listed as being in Louisville rather than Bardstown or Frankfurt but then again none of the business shenanigans the distillers do makes much sense to me. I can only guess it makes sense for them.
    Sazerac seems to be pushing a bunch of these mystery brands lately. This is the only one that I've noticed with an age statement. Not sure if it is BT or Barton but they apparently have a lot of young whiskey to move.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Guru

May as well bottle up the surplus under another brand name. If the price is reasonable there will be plenty of buyers willing to spring once for something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    Sazerac seems to be pushing a bunch of these mystery brands lately. This is the only one that I've noticed with an age statement. Not sure if it is BT or Barton but they apparently have a lot of young whiskey to move.
    Sazarac also has a new line of imported vodka out there. Epic. Meant to compete with Pinnacle with a bunch of flavors in the $10-12 per 750 price range. Rain organic vodka is no longer organic and might be completely phased out soon.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post

Chuck reported in another thread that Jeffers Creek and another one called Black Ridge are Barton products. Seems like it would make more sense to just by VOB than these unless you don't have access to that.

haven't seen a review of either to this point although I haven't really been looking so they may be out there.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Maybe it's as simple as throwing a bunch of new brands against the wall to see which ones stick.

Guru

Passed on a St. George's XXX Anniversary today @ $359.

Advanced Taster

I ran into a liquor store as my wife walked in the grocery that is next door to it. It isn't my usual liquor store so I wanted to see what they had...they had a 4R Limited Edition small batch barrel strength...I was seriously considering it but I just couldn't pull the trigger at $76.99. I told the spouse I would scale back by purchasing some. I might go back this weekend.. If they still have it, it is meant to be.

Anyone tried it? What does it sell elsewhere for? That price is in OK.

Virtuoso

What Did You Pass Up Today? Spring '13

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    Passed on a St. George's XXX Anniversary today @ $359.
    I passed on one at $330 a few weeks back. Ultimately, it's a $300 NAS whiskey. Even with the glowing reviews I couldn't jump on it.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by FlounderinDC View Post
    I ran into a liquor store as my wife walked in the grocery that is next door to it. It isn't my usual liquor store so I wanted to see what they had...they had a 4R Limited Edition small batch barrel strength...I was seriously considering it but I just couldn't pull the trigger at $76.99. I told the spouse I would scale back by purchasing some. I might go back this weekend.. If they still have it, it is meant to be.

Anyone tried it? What does it sell elsewhere for? That price is in OK.
    If it is the 2012 SmB LE, I never saw it for below $100 here in the DC area. And the last time I saw one was Jan/feb. go back tomorrow!

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    I passed on one at $330 a few weeks back. Ultimately, it's a $300 NAS whiskey. Even with the glowing reviews I couldn't jump on it.
    Yes, but its probably the best whiskey I've every nosed.

That being said, I probably couldn't pull on a bottle, but I will pull for a glass if I come across it someday again.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."