Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 22 of 46 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: What Did You Pass Up Today? Spring '13

I recently passed on some EW1996 for $30. I bought one bottle but left the other 5 sitting on the shelf. The store owner said to come back in a few weeks to go digging through the basement. Trying not to seem too eager.

Guru

With all of the so-so reviews I passed up on 3+ cases of PHC '12 and JPS21. Too much to not be superb, but I guess one can only judge for himself. Maybe next time.

Edit: PHC was $74 pre-tax.

Also, how do you date bottles of WT RB? It seems like every one I see has 03 as the only digits on the neck.
    Last edited by smknjoe; 04-29-2013 at 16:29.

Disciple

What Did You Pass Up Today? Spring '13

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    With all of the so-so reviews I passed up on 3+ cases of PHC '12 and JPS21. Too much to not be superb, but I guess one can only judge for himself. Maybe next time.
    I can't endorse Jefferson 21, but I definitely am on the other side on the PHC 12. I think it's worth the money... But as you say, no one can know what you'll think of it until you try some. Hope you get a chance to do that sometime, seems like it will still be available on shelves for a while yet.
    Jim

Disciple

Distillers Masterpiece at the JB gift shop.Cool as it would be to complete the set and having the will power of a 3 year old,even I couldn't delve that deep for 12 yr whiskey.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Advanced Taster

I easily passed on 2 VW 12 Lot B bottles today. They were asking $150.00 a bottle. $90.00 profit over retail a bottle from a liquor store just seems greedy to me. I guess they are lucky some folks will pay that price. I'll sip on my $60 bottles if the prices stay like that. They most likely lost another customer today. I'll go where a customer is appreciated.
    I'm not an expert but I have lots of opinions!

Quote Originally Posted by WAINWRIGHT View Post
    Distillers Masterpiece at the JB gift shop.Cool as it would be to complete the set and having the will power of a 3 year old,even I couldn't delve that deep for 12 yr whiskey.
    I have a feeling many SBers passed on this recently. I certainly did. The packaging was nice though and the JB gift shop prices were a bargain compared to the HH gift shop (with the possible exception of the "on sale" ECBP).

Quote Originally Posted by KyFriedChicken View Post
    I easily passed on 2 VW 12 Lot B bottles today. They were asking $150.00 a bottle. $90.00 profit over retail a bottle from a liquor store just seems greedy to me. I guess they are lucky some folks will pay that price. I'll sip on my $60 bottles if the prices stay like that. They most likely lost another customer today. I'll go where a customer is appreciated.
    Yikes. I passed on Lot B for $60. I've liked past bottlings, but I'm not a fan of the recent release.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by c2walker View Post
    Yikes. I passed on Lot B for $60. I've liked past bottlings, but I'm not a fan of the recent release.
    I'll have to drink some Weller 12 just to get the bad taste out of my mouth. I'm a big fan of VW so I would have a hard time passing up $60 bottles. I suppose everyone has their weakness.
    I'm not an expert but I have lots of opinions!

Advanced Taster

There's a lottery at Prospect Party Center tomorrow night. I'm going, but I'm only willing to spend any money on the rye. Got a bottle in December at the same spot for a little under $70, even with the gouging I'd do it again. They actually have uniformed police officers draw the names.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by elbowguru View Post
    There's a lottery at Prospect Party Center tomorrow night. I'm going, but I'm only willing to spend any money on the rye. Got a bottle in December at the same spot for a little under $70, even with the gouging I'd do it again. They actually have uniformed police officers draw the names.
    Jeez, so much extra cost and trouble just to get rid of their few bottles and limit the ire of customers who will feel resentment no matter what. Renting real cops costs a pretty penny. Let me tell you, I usually don't feel too sorry for retailers, but these scarce limited editions and the like must be a huge (i.e. maybe not really worth it?) hassle for them most of the time - assuming that they don't gouge people a lot. (I am thinking of an STL store that does waiting lists to sell VW at a reasonable / proportionate markup; it must cost more extra man hours than they make off of the bottles, and lots of customers end up pissed at the retailer anyway.)

Anyway, I recently passed on 4RsmB at $26. That is the lowest I have ever seen it around here, so I will be returning pretty soon.
    I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
    ― Kurt Vonnegut