Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Enthusiast

Do you ever wish bourbon did not contain ethanol?

I know that may be a strange thought. But I don't drink for effect, I drink for the taste of the spirit. I've had three smallish pours tonite, and will not (cannot?) have another, due to the cumulative effects of the alcohol. If there was no ethanol involved, I could have another pour.

Does anyone else entertain this notion, or am I the odd man out?

Connoisseur

Re: Do you ever wish bourbon did not contain ethanol?

Lack of alcohol would be a deal breaker. It would kind of be like dating a fatty because she has a good personality, it might be a valid reason, but not nearly compelling enough.
    Last edited by LostBottle; 03-25-2013 at 22:20.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    Lack of alcohol would be a deal breaker. It would kind of be like dating a fatty because she has a good personality, it might be a valid reason, but not nearly compelling enough.
    Too funny, bro. I just passed hot coffee through my nose! But I get your meaning. To be honest though, I can see this both ways and find valid points in each post that I've read so far. There are times when I am bummed that I can't have another but I guess I wouldn't have it any other way. I enjoy the feeling that whiskey gives me and the flavor is only part of the overall pleasurable experience. I do occasionally regret the morning after though but that's part of the deal I guess.
    Last edited by unclebunk; 03-26-2013 at 04:57.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    Lack of alcohol would be a deal breaker. It would kind of be like dating a beer belly because he has a good personality, it might be a valid reason, but not nearly compelling enough.
    Fixed it for ya.

Advanced Taster

I am with you, SFS. If the drink were exactly the same (meaning the ethanol taste/burn was still there) I would most likely give it up for the ability to drink to my heart's content. It has its place and I would miss it occasionally, but it would be an acceptable loss.

Guru

It is a strange thought and you should be made to sit in the corner with a bottle and a glass and drink until you return to your senses.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

In the beginning, there was Prodigy. And on Prodigy there was a wine, beer and spirits discussion group. It was usually the wine guys who would start the, "I don't drink for effect, I drink for the taste" discussion. I haven't heard it in a long time. Then as now, my instinct is to mock. The truth is, there is no separating taste from 'effect.' The effect is part of the taste. You experience it from the first sip. The psychoactive effect of the ethenol is essential to the experience. Artifically separating 'taste' and 'effect' in your mind is dangerous, as is any self-delusion. If you have a problem with alcohol but convince yourself you can flirt with enjoying the 'taste' only, you're playing Russian Roulette. If, on the other hand, you just want a moderate experience, then embrace that. Moderation is healthy. Longing for one more 'taste' is where the trouble starts.
    Last edited by cowdery; 03-25-2013 at 23:06.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    In the beginning, there was Prodigy. And on Prodigy there was a wine, beer and spirits discussion group. It was usually the wine guys who would start the, "I don't drink for effect, I drink for the taste" discussion. I haven't heard it in a long time. Then as now, my instinct is to mock. The truth is, there is no separating taste from 'effect.' The effect is part of the taste. You experience it from the first sip. The psychoactive effect of the ethenol is essential to the experience. Artifically separating 'taste' and 'effect' in your mind is dangerous, as is any self-delusion. If you have a problem with alcohol but convince yourself you can flirt with enjoying the 'taste' only, you're playing Russian Roulette. If, on the other hand, you just want a moderate experience, then embrace that. Moderation is healthy. Longing for one more 'taste' is where the trouble starts.
    Yeah, this.

The whole 'taste OR alcohol' dichotomy is a false one. Besides the extra pleasurable effect of alcohol on the brain, alcohol actually intensifies flavors (especially sweet ones). And, obviously, alcohol itself has a certain taste factor that contributes to the whole taste experience. The 'effect', then, is both pleasurable in itself and bound up with the taste. Maybe we wish we could drink more without getting too drunk, but it is naive to think that we would actually enjoy whiskey without alcohol just because we want to avoid getting too drunk. At best, it would be a radically different experience - not the same taste experience without the ethanol. (think non-alcoholic beer, like KyDram mentioned)
    Last edited by CoMobourbon; 03-26-2013 at 06:56.
    I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
    ― Kurt Vonnegut

Virtuoso

I may have shared this sentiment once, but I got over it.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Guru

I don't believe I ever suffered from it.