Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: Do you ever wish bourbon did not contain ethanol?

I guess I honestly don't understand the point of drinking if you don't enjoy or find undesirable the occasional buzz, but obv could just be me.

Guru

I'm too old (or too lazy) to bother with analysis. I drink it because it makes me happy.

Advanced Taster

I like airplanes, but I hate flying. I wish they would just stay on the ground.
    Rye whiskey makes the sun set faster.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by CoMobourbon View Post
    Yeah, this.

The whole 'taste OR alcohol' dichotomy is a false one. Besides the extra pleasurable effect of alcohol on the brain, alcohol actually intensifies flavors (especially sweet ones). And, obviously, alcohol itself has a certain taste factor that contributes to the whole taste experience. The 'effect', then, is both pleasurable in itself and bound up with the taste. Maybe we wish we could drink more without getting too drunk, but it is naive to think that we would actually enjoy whiskey without alcohol just because we want to avoid getting too drunk. At best, it would be a radically different experience - not the same taste experience without the ethanol. (think non-alcoholic beer, like KyDram mentioned)
    I couldn't agree more.

I like how alcohol brings flavors all the way though my sinuses, If you get my drift.

I wouldn't want to give up the intoxicating effect of alcohol, But I have often wished the effect between three and five drinks was only a half a drink apart. Being buzzed is pleasurable, being too drunk is not. and hangovers are not fun

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by SFS View Post
    Your generalization that "the psychoactive effect of the ethenol [sic] is essential to the experience" is not true for everyone. It is precisely the opposite of essential to me. That's kinda why I started the thread. If that wasn't clear from the OP, perhaps that's because the ethanol had an effect. See my point?
    How do you know that's the case? You've never had whiskey with the ethanol removed, how do you know you would like it? How do you know removing the ethanol wouldn't remove an essential aspect of the whiskey for you? This is all just theory, and unrealistic theory at that.

Our body allows us to experience pleasure, and really, anything we put in our body is intoxicating in one respect or another. Isn't the obesity epidemic in our society directly related to 'not wanting the tasting to stop?' People ingest far more calories than they need on a daily basis because they are addicted to tasting food. The food industry had certainly endeavored to remove calories from taste, but most would argue that it has not been successful. When smoking was announced to cause cancer, heart disease and other ailments, the birth of the light cigarette was born.

Perhaps you would prefer that a scientist track down the path your favorite whiskey takes in your brain while it stimulates taste and then have that scientist recreate the path synthetically so that you don't have to take in the actual substance in order to experience it. Sounds creepy to me.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Guru

Well, it's simple enough if anyone want's to experiment. Pour two ounces of Bourbon in a sauce pan and bring it to a boil at which point the alcohol is gone. Cool it, drink it and decide.

Enthusiast

Why didn't I think of that? I don't have any Barton's, but I'm going to try this with that swill called OGD114. I'll report back.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Well, it's simple enough if anyone want's to experiment. Pour two ounces of Bourbon in a sauce pan and bring it to a boil at which point the alcohol is gone. Cool it, drink it and decide.
    Tastes horrible. I've done this while messing around with my home made ice cream concoctions.

Alcohol is essential to how you experience the taste of whiskey. But lets not conflate that with its intoxicating effects. I think that's one point CoMobourbon was touching on.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by SFS View Post
    Does anyone else entertain this notion, or am I the odd man out?
    Odd man out I am guessing in this crowd-

My first response was going to be " What, are you effin' nuts?"
    Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most

Virtuoso

Or if someone was a chemist (cough, shuffle) they could develop a wand coated with a substance that bonded to ethanol and only ethanol. A swish of the wand and through the magic of molecular recognition the amount of ethanol in the juice would be reduced. Basic molecular recognition exercise, no problem.