Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: How do you win Best Bourbon at a tasting?

I also found it interesting that they tell the judges the age and proof. That can definitley sway judges as well. See the comment about 80 proof whiskies not winning(maybe they shouldn't but that could certainily sway a judge with the bias towards higher proofed whiskey)

Guru

I expect the Scotch and Canadian whiskys are 80 proof.

Guru

Being informed of the age and proof means the judges are not tasting blind.

Advanced Taster

In think it's important to know the proof when tasting "blind". Judging heat or burn or whatever you want to call it would be impossible if you didn't know that.

The price is $475 (I think) per bottle submitted.

Guru

If I'm tasting to choose the best of the lot why is it important to know the proof?

Enthusiast

Thanks for sharing this.

Advanced Taster

I'm not sure you need to know proof to know what you like best. But to compare similar products at vastly different proofs, I would think it's important to have that piece of information. Knowing the proof helps you understand why one whiskey might have more heat or burn than the other. There's a reason many of the experts compare spirits at the same proof.

However, I completely understand your position. After all, those distillers sent in the product at a certain proof for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Being informed of the age and proof means the judges are not tasting blind.
    Actually knowing the age and proof but not the brand does mean it's blind. When blind tasting wine, I know the grape and country. A double blind tasting means you know zero about what you're tasting. I've tasted with some master sommeliers who tasted the wine and could even tell you the trellis system of the vineyards. It's amazing to observe these guys.

The best bourbon palate, I'm told, was Booker Noe. He could randomly double blind taste him and he could tell you everything about the bourbon.

Disciple

How do you win Best Bourbon at a tasting?

Quote Originally Posted by fminnick View Post
    Actually knowing the age and proof but not the brand does mean it's blind. When blind tasting wine, I know the grape and country. A double blind tasting means you know zero about what you're tasting. I've tasted with some master sommeliers who tasted the wine and could even tell you the trellis system of the vineyards. It's amazing to observe these guys.

The best bourbon palate, I'm told, was Booker Noe. He could randomly double blind taste him and he could tell you everything about the bourbon.
    "Double blind" means the subject and the experimenter both do not know what each sample is. Your definition is simply incorrect.

FWIW, I agree with Squire. You knew that the whiskey in question was 11 or more years old, you knew it was 107 proof, and you were fairly sure from palate that it was a wheater. "Please don't be Pappy?" You already knew it was Pappy; no other bourbon fits that description. It simply wasn't a blind tasting. I don't question your ability to judge spirits, but calling this a blind tasting is nonsense, and your definition of double blind is even worse nonsense.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    "Double blind" means the subject and the experimenter both do not know what each sample is. Your definition is simply incorrect.

FWIW, I agree with Squire. You knew that the whiskey in question was 11 or more years old, you knew it was 107 proof, and you were fairly sure from palate that it was a wheater. "Please don't be Pappy?" You already knew it was Pappy; no other bourbon fits that description. It simply wasn't a blind tasting. I don't question your ability to judge spirits, but calling this a blind tasting is nonsense, and your definition of double blind is even worse nonsense.
    Jim, you are referencing the double-blind definition for medical testing. For wine, this is the definition of double-blind: "
    A version of "blind tasting" where wines of different varietals are tasted at the same time. The challenge of "double blind tasting" is to determine the varietal and origin of the wine."
    http://www.recipetips.com/glossary-t...sting-wine.asp

A more thorough University of California definition explains:…"‘Double blind’ describes tastings in which the evaluator is given no explicit information about the wine at all, and evaluates the wine only on the basis of properties she discerns by perceiving the wine in the glass. ‘Single blind’ generally describes tasting in which the evaluator carries out her evaluation perceptually after being told either (i) a general property about the whole class of wines being evaluated (say, their shared geographic region, or the grape from which they were made), or (ii) the list of producers of the wines to be tasted, but not which producer made each individual wine."http://aardvark.ucsd.edu/perception/blind_tasting.pdf

We tasted blind by industry standards.