Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My return to EC12

Hey all,

I posted this a few years back: (closed thread)EC12 fuzz?

I'm into my first 12yr EC and I've had a strange experience with it; while drinking it I get what I would call a dry, "fuzzy" feeling in my mouth, tongue and lips. Seriously, FUZZY is the most accurate word. It is not a good thing and it can linger for quite some time. Does anyone know what the hell I'm talking about (I often don't )? I'd love to know if others have experienced this same thing, with EC or any other pours. Otherwise, the flavor is ok, not my fav. I know I've read here people saying the EC18 is very "woody" and that's the word that came to mind with my initial sip of this12y (of course "woody" only lasted till "fuzzy" spoke up), not overly so or bad, but you can taste wood for sure. thanks

I recently went against my word and picked up another bottle. LOVE IT. There absolutely was something funky with my last (2006) bottle; I swear on my mothers eye sight that it made my tongue feel "hairy". This stuff is wonderful, and a bargain at $25/6 a bottle.

Connoisseur

Re: My return to EC12

Small batch variation is real. Someone else may have decided that 'fuzzy' was the bee's knees and been disappointed in their next purchase when it was missing. Some bourbons light my entire tongue on fire and I have to stick it out as far as I can. Sometimes I like that.
    Last edited by MauiSon; 07-31-2013 at 11:37.

Guru

i like em thick and with enough bite that you can feel it in your teeth. for feeling it in your teeth, the best example i cna think of currently is Bookers. Good bourbon taste, but almost like the bite of listerine in the mouth. most dont seem to like that, but its what i find i like

Guru

Doug when you graduate I expect people will have an easy time picking your gifts.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Doug when you graduate I expect people will have an easy time picking your gifts.
    few of my friends drink bourbon though, so most of my friends would be clueless on what to get me as a gift. They know ive discovered bourbon, but to a non-bourbon person, they probably think bourbon and automatically think JB or WT, neither of which i can say i overly care for. Of the bourbon friends i have, one is a devout EWB fan, one who loves ET, and one who prefers Blantons or ETL. None of them like the things i like, and theyve all been bourbon drinkers for years. Funny how we are all different like that.

i will have to train my friends on what i like then.........graduate next May, and turn 40 a few years later!

anyone who wants to get a present for me, please mail me an ECBP, Bookers, Bakers, or any other high proofer!

Disciple

I guess we are all different. I really don't like anything below 90, with the exception of 4RYL, but I like them both smooth and eye openers depending on my mood.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by toddinjax View Post
    Hey all,

I posted this a few years back: (closed thread)EC12 fuzz?

I'm into my first 12yr EC and I've had a strange experience with it; while drinking it I get what I would call a dry, "fuzzy" feeling in my mouth, tongue and lips. Seriously, FUZZY is the most accurate word. It is not a good thing and it can linger for quite some time. Does anyone know what the hell I'm talking about (I often don't )? I'd love to know if others have experienced this same thing, with EC or any other pours. Otherwise, the flavor is ok, not my fav. I know I've read here people saying the EC18 is very "woody" and that's the word that came to mind with my initial sip of this12y (of course "woody" only lasted till "fuzzy" spoke up), not overly so or bad, but you can taste wood for sure. thanks

I recently went against my word and picked up another bottle. LOVE IT. There absolutely was something funky with my last (2006) bottle; I swear on my mothers eye sight that it made my tongue feel "hairy". This stuff is wonderful, and a bargain at $25/6 a bottle.

I've had bad batches of the 12yo and the 18yo tasting like metal. It's a bit of a lottery choosing a non-metallic tasting one so every so often i'll buy another bottle to see if I come across a good batch again.
    A year or two back the 12yo was retailing around the $45 mark here but it is now breaching $70 due to popularity or supply so I rarely purchase it any more considering I can get other reliable tasting bourbons for much less. It is a great drop though if you happen across a good batch.

It is no secret that I love that elixir of the gods, bourbon.

Advanced Taster

I don't think I'll ever buy another bottle of EC12, metallic oak is a very accurate term!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bjbronwyn View Post
    I don't think I'll ever buy another bottle of EC12, metallic oak is a very accurate term!

they should just stop selling EC12 and just release it all as ECBP!

Disciple

My return to EC12

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    they should just stop selling EC12 and just release it all as ECBP!
    Good idea but it's not gonna happen, that's a brand with a lot of loyal customers and not everyone likes barrel proofers.

Plus... Somehow you still wouldn't be able to find any!
    Jim