Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Guru

Sazerac produced Canadian whisky?

While poking about in liquor stores I came across two Sazerac produced Canadian whiskies I had not seen before. Wasn't really looking for Canadian whisky but they were in the middle of all the bourbons and ryes (which were also all mixed together) so hard to avoid!

One was called Caribou Crossing Single Barrel and the other was Royal Canadian. Are these common and I just haven't seen them before or are they something new in the US? I saw a couple of reviews of the Caribou Crossing on whisky advocate and a couple of other blogs but the first time I have noticied them in town.

Canadian 3.jpegCanadian 2.jpegCanadian 1.jpeg

Don't recall the price but the reviews suggested the Caribou (and its fancy package) is the pricier of the two. Kinda has a Rock Hill Farms look to it.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Re: Sazerac produced Canadian whisky?

Ive seen these out in CA. The first thing that caught my eye was the clear use of the RHF bottle and the BTAC bottle.

Guru

I can recommend Caribou Crossing for the same reason I can recommend Rock Hill Farms. They are both very good representatives of their type, worth it if you want to pay for the experience, and in both cases you are paying extra for the packaging.

Guru

It was an interesting store. Had a lot of things I hadn't expected but it was the oddest organization of bottles on the shelf I think I have seen in a large store. You can see the Caribou is stuck in between a Blanton's bourbon on one side and on the other side was a CEHT Rye. Maybe it was supposed to be the Sazerac company section!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Disciple

I have had both the Caribou Crossing and Royal Canadian,just had to try them I guess.I thought the Caribou Crossing was a very rich pour as far as Canadians go and really enjoyed it,the Royal Canadian was in no way in the same category even at half the price.They were priced at $24 and $45 and being fresh from a Whiskyfest visit I thought I needed to expand my horizons several years back.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

I've tried both and think they are both good Canadian expressions. They also recently added Rich and Rare Reserve- It's very inexpensive around $12 - buy this one and switch out with a friend that drinks Crown Royal. I like it better than Crown. Drew Mayville was a former Seagrams in Canada employee who now works at Buffalo Trace. He is the one who guided the development on these.

Enthusiast

The Caribou Crossing is available here in WV, so it must be available in copious quantities ...
    Sto lat!!!

bllygthrd

Guru

Rich and Rare Reserve eh? Think I saw some on a shelf recently.

Guru

I have not had the Caribou Crossing, but I thought the bottle of Royal Canadian I bought was really bland. I ended up vatting it with a dusty bottle of Beam Rye. Made it slightly better, but not much.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

My thoughts exactly in relation to Royal Canadian, very ordinary. Haven't tried the other.

Gary