Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Bourbons over 125 Proof

Yup, Four Roses does as well. Highest proof I have of theirs is 125.2.

Guru

I was under the impression Four Roses also used warehouses that were multi story, particularly during the years of Seagram ownership. Jim Rutledge would know, does anybody recall him saying?

Guru

I don't know that they use single story rickhouses exclusively, but believe they use it for at least some sizeable portion of Four Roses (at least currently - no idea what they used in the past).
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Advanced Taster

I didnt see ANY single story rickhouses owned by 4R. Only multi level. But i was heavily ''bourbon'd" at the time lol
    "Always carry a large flagon of whisky in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
    W.C. Fields (1880-1946)

Trippah and Admin

Every rickhouse at Cox's Creek is a single story. They are definitely not the traditional rickhouse design that you see dotting the landscape around Kentucky.

The only question is whether or not FR ages any bourbon outside of CC.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post

The only question is whether or not FR ages any bourbon outside of CC.
    I would say not because FR hasn't maxed out their rickhouses yet, that is maxed them out for the bourbon that they bottle.
    They age bourbon to be sold to Bulleit and Rutledge said when 4R needs the space for their bourbons then the Bulleit space gets cut.
    ovh

Guru

Maybe some people were thinking of the more traditional rickhouses there in Lawrenceburg? But those are leased by WT, I think.

Guru

Yep, you can see WT rickhouses from the grounds of the 4R distillery.
    ovh

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    Yup, Four Roses does as well. Highest proof I have of theirs is 125.2.
    I've got a 10 yr single barrel/barrel proof that is just north of 120 as well, although I don't know what proof 4R barrels at.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Enthusiast

I thought that Michael Veach said it well in his book Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey: An American Heritage ...

When whiskey is being aged, evaporation through the pores of the oak barrel staves changes the proof of the whiskey. The degree to which the proof of the whiskey changes depends on where the whiskey is stored in the warehouse. If it is on one of the upper floors, the proof will increase with age; if it is on one of the lower floors, the proof will decrease with age. There is a point in the middle where the proof does not change. This change in proof is driven by heat. On the upper levels of the warehouse, where the temperature can be over one hundred degrees Fahrenheit in the summer, both alcohol and water vaporize, pressure builds up in the barrel, and water molecules, which are smaller than alcohol molecules, pass through the pores of the wood at a greater rate than do alcohol molecules, thus raising the proof of the whiskey. On the lower levels, where the temperature is much cooler— often in the midseventies even on a hot summer day— thanks to the updraft created by the rising hot air, more alcohol than water will vaporize, and more alcohol passes through the wood pores, thus lowering the proof of the whiskey.

Veach, Michael R. (2013-03-01). Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey: An American Heritage (Kindle Locations 757-764). The University Press of Kentucky. Kindle Edition.

5378_10200291944173077_1668643740_n.jpg
    Also, a picture of a FR single story rickhouse, taken last month when we made a trip to Bardstown, KY (and vicinity)
    Sto lat!!!

bllygthrd