Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: For those of us who can't find (or afford) PVW......

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    WsmataU do you have any verification Jefferson has access to the same whisky stock Julian chooses from?
    None at all...that is just my impression of how the SW stock sell off happened. Everything I've understood is that Julian and crew hand selected what they wanted and the rest of the stock was sold off. I think Trey and company saw an opportunity to capitalize on the SW - Pappy association and marketed as such. I know I can't go into a local liquor store without the proprietor telling me that JRPS 18 is the same as PVW. I have plenty of both, and don't think either one is worth more than $75 bottle. I stopped bunkering PVW15 once it switched to BT juice (I still think it is great bourbon, but I'm not willing to pay the "Pappy" premium.)
    Bourbon is sunshine held together by water....

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BradleyC View Post
    Shhhhhhhhhh!

WLW is aweful. dont buy it.
    Gary I expect a number of folks will eventually come to your conclusion.
    You're right - no one should buy WLW, it really is terrible. I mentioned it only as a joke.

I know my mistake was not really considering what I like. For the most part, I prefer a high-rye mashbill, although I do like "some" wheaters (OWA 107 for example). But I'm not really a fan of lower-proof wheaters (like W12 - which I love to mingle with others, but not a huge fan of by itself). Probably had I given it more thought, I might have anticipated that I wouldn't have been nuts about it - and at least have talked myself into holding out to buy a bottle until I had at least tried someone else's!

The 2 parts W12 blend and 1 part OWA (with a spash of KCSB) sounds interesting, and I would imagine fairly close. When experimenting with the SB blend, I tried a 50/50 mix, and two versions of the 60/40 mix - finding I prefer the 60 OWA over the 60 W12. Hmm . . . maybe I should have throw in some OWA to my PVW20 to improve it!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Advanced Taster

JPS 18 was the closest thing I found to my PVW20...UNTIL I was given a sample of Elijah Craig 20. It was wonderful! Im not as sanguine about EC 18. To me, it has all of the woodiness but WITHOUT the same sweetness, which makes it a little thin. I still like it, but just not as much.
    i DID do a little blending last night. I mixed equal parts EC18 and Weller SR. Pretty good. Then I mixed pretty much equal parts EC18 and OWA. Even better IMHO
    Well, how can it not be McCormick's, the $7 well bourbon of the finest dive bars? Tastes like kerosene and sadness.

Quote Originally Posted by Borchard View Post
    JPS 18 was the closest thing I found to my PVW20...UNTIL I was given a sample of Elijah Craig 20. It was wonderful! Im not as sanguine about EC 18. To me, it has all of the woodiness but WITHOUT the same sweetness, which makes it a little thin. I still like it, but just not as much.
    i DID do a little blending last night. I mixed equal parts EC18 and Weller SR. Pretty good. Then I mixed pretty much equal parts EC18 and OWA. Even better IMHO
    Except Elijah Craig is not a wheated bourbon. The 20 year old was named whiskey of year and rightfully so.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by P&MLiquorsEric View Post
    Except Elijah Craig is not a wheated bourbon. The 20 year old was named whiskey of year and rightfully so.
    The EC20 that was named whiskey of the year was a SB #3735 and only available at the gift shop. Other barrels of that didn't get nearly the same glowing reviews from what I remember...I wonder if John drove there or HH sent him on of those honey barrels!
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

Guru

The whiskey of the year barrel was available at some stores in Lexington too, at least. The labels were different than the regular release. Sat around here for quite awhile, actually. Never did grab one though, or even get to try it.

ETA: and of course I was wrong. Just checked and it was the general release bottle I saw. Nothing to see here.
    Last edited by MyOldKyDram; 03-31-2013 at 08:06.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by BradleyC View Post
    Shhhhhhhhhh!

WLW is aweful. dont buy it.
    can't resist a PvW thread. Perhaps it should be moved to the "Premium" section so it's not visible to the public/lurkers and they don't get the coveted advice.
    For those who don't know, you have to be signed in to access that section.
    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Guru

No need to shout bigtoys, we can hear you.

Borchard is correct though, after 18 years in the barrel the character of a Bourbon is so eclipsed by the effect of wood it's mashbill of wheat or rye may be completely disguised.

Connoisseur

No need to shout bigtoys, we can hear you.
    I always associate shouting with all caps. I just like a little bigger font for my 50+ year old eyes. Sorry.
    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Guru

Then use a larger font by all means, I'll just turn my hearing aid down.