Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Apprentice

Recourse for Price Gouging?

There is a liquor store in my town that is sitting on some very nice stores of hard to find bourbon. I would love to relieve them of their stock, but they are literally charging double on almost all of it. This includes selections from Heaven Hill, Buffalo Trace and Four Roses. While I know the Commonwealth of Kentucky doesn't have the resources to care about these kinds of things, do the distillers have any say in this? Should I inform them that their products are sitting on a shelf at 100% markup?

Disciple

Re: Recourse for Price Gouging?

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromLou View Post
    There is a liquor store in my town that is sitting on some very nice stores of hard to find bourbon. I would love to relieve them of their stock, but they are literally charging double on almost all of it. This includes selections from Heaven Hill, Buffalo Trace and Four Roses. While I know the Commonwealth of Kentucky doesn't have the resources to care about these kinds of things, do the distillers have any say in this? Should I inform them that their products are sitting on a shelf at 100% markup?
    Ah no...they can charge whatever they want as the distillery has been paid by the distributor and the distributor has been paid by the liquor store. I'm pretty sure they understand the cost of money and having them in there an inflated prices is probably a strategy to gain traffic on their part. You see these bottles and while you might not pay it you might by something else while you're in there...someone who really wants those bottles will end up paying it...someone always does!
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by hectic1 View Post
    Ah no...they can charge whatever they want as the distillery has been paid by the distributor and the distributor has been paid by the liquor store. I'm pretty sure they understand the cost of money and having them in there an inflated prices is probably a strategy to gain traffic on their part. You see these bottles and while you might not pay it you might by something else while you're in there...someone who really wants those bottles will end up paying it...someone always does!
    ditto on what Bob says. This is America and capitalism should thrive. You could make them a lower offer for said bottles; they might say yes.

Guru

The store is within it's rights to charge what they want or even to display the bottles of whisky with no intention of sale. I know a merchant who does that, keeps them right beside the cash register, he won't sell them but will sell something "like" them.

Guru

Yeah, really about the only recourse you have is to not shop there. Reward stores that you like with your dollar instead.

Connoisseur

I believe when it comes right down to it, they can charge as much as they want. On the other hand, if the inventory doesn't move, they don't make any profit. Keep an eye on the place. Maybe they will end up having a big going out of business sale, and you can swoop in and clean the place out. My personal solution is not to buy from people I think are jerks. I also tend to buy several bottles at a time if something I like is a good deal, not always available, etc. My two favorite stores are both an hour away in different directions from my home. That also influences my shopping habits. Louisville has some great stores, but even they don't have everything all the time. Have you checked out the Liquor Barn?

Disciple

I have to agree with Bob and Wade here,try to deal on the bottles if they have been on the shelf for a long time.I have done this many times in the past they have a rare bottle and they are charging for it,meet them somewhere in the middle both parties are happy and you walk out the door with something you have always wanted.Sometimes they won't deal but more than often they will,start heading for the door and they always seem to come around.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by hectic1 View Post
    Some people are just morons. Store owners are not immune from that. I've seen enough "collectable bottles" at silly prices that have been sitting on shelves for years to believe that somebody always pays it.

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    Yeah, really about the only recourse you have is to not shop there. Reward stores that you like with your dollar instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulO View Post
    I believe when it comes right down to it, they can charge as much as they want. On the other hand, if the inventory doesn't move, they don't make any profit. Keep an eye on the place. Maybe they will end up having a big going out of business sale, and you can swoop in and clean the place out. My personal solution is not to buy from people I think are jerks.
    This is how I operate too. If I get bad service or think someone is overcharging, I take my business elsewhere. If it's bad enough, I will also tell others about my bad experience. That's the best way to punish a retailer in the US of A.

If you want the bottles enough, try to negotiate, but don't be afraid to walk out.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Connoisseur

There is a store locally that has started doing this, specifically with THH. Last year it was selling for $65, now they have it marked at $110. Same vintage, nothing has changed. Other prices have started to creep upwards. Unfortunately, this is a chain. Fortunately, they have a few stores in more "economically depressed" areas, and their prices have not changed on the same products!

I'll give you one guess as to where I spend my money....
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Guru

Oh, two guesses please.