Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Rittenhouse rye BIB

The DSP-1 is now in my area. I picked up a bottle yesterday and had about an ounce or so of it. My first impression was that it's so close to the HH gold label BiB that I likely wouldn't question it if someone gave me a glass and told me it were so. The main difference isn't in the taste but the finish, as the Ritt has a nice, spicy flourish at the end. My second impression was that this would sell for half the price if the label said "bourbon" instead of "rye".

I don't have a DSP-354 to do a comparison. From memory, I'd say the 354 is a bit more complex but has more off flavors, like a wet cardboard taste that really puts me off. The HH Ritt has quite a clean, clear profile. I don't much like either of them neat, but this should do nicely as a mixer

Guru

I still haven't seen DSP-1 in my area - which may be due in part to the folks who carry Ritt BIB still having loads of DSP-354 stock.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru

Guess we'll just have to do our part to reduce that stock.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    I just picked up a DSP-354 (mostly just an excuse to stop in Jackie's!) Having my first pour of it, and wondering why it took me this long to buy a bottle.

Bill - I hope you're right that the DSP-1 is even better than this, but if it is just as good, I'll be happy. And you're right - at $18 a bottle you can't beat it!

Bruce - looking forward to see it in Cobb. I checked just two stores and didn't see any. I definitely want to do a blind SBS comparison before I buy another 354. With my luck, I'd stock up on it and find the DSP-1 is the bomb

Gary, I've bunkered some 354's, just because I really like it, esp at the price. I just found a DSP 1 at Green's--thanks Bruce. It'll be fun to do some SBS and then some blind tastings to test the difference. Work, Work, Work....
    "Civilization begins with distillation."

William Faulkner

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Guess we'll just have to do our part to reduce that stock.
    When the right man steps up at the right time... well, that's how heroes are born.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by wmpevans View Post
    Gary, I've bunkered some 354's, just because I really like it, esp at the price. I just found a DSP 1 at Green's--thanks Bruce. It'll be fun to do some SBS and then some blind tastings to test the difference. Work, Work, Work....
    Look forward to your thoughts on the two! Which Green's had it? Might have to make a special trip out to pick one up! I do like the 354's as well - just hoping if I like them better I can slowly accumulate some
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Enthusiast

DSP-KY-1 showed up roughly a week ago at my favorite store. There's still DSP-KY-354 on the shelf too. I would have bought some, but they also had Baby Saz, so I decided to go for that instead due to the recent availability difficulties.
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by TheNovaMan View Post
    DSP-KY-1 showed up roughly a week ago at my favorite store. There's still DSP-KY-354 on the shelf too. I would have bought some, but they also had Baby Saz, so I decided to go for that instead due to the recent availability difficulties.
    None of these on my shelves right now and when I walk in tomorrow and they're there I'd buy all three.

Connoisseur

Just picked up a bottle of the DSP-354 last night, only one of about 12 bottles of the shelf, the rest were DSP-1. Haven't had either yet but saw Rittenhouse on the shelf yesterday afternoon, was curious, and came back here to read about it. Figured I'd go for the 354 since it was there.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I had a glass of Rittenhouse BIB (DSP 354) the other night, right after I finished off a bottle of Larceny. Boy, there's a contrast for you, but it really brought all the weird but wonderful, hard-to-describe flavors in the Rittenhouse. Maybe that's a thread, good 1 - 2 punches.