Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Rittenhouse rye BIB

I've had some Overholt distilled in the late 60s and bottled in the early 70s but didn't keep tasting notes. I think we may have to look to the smaller producers like Leopold now to get a taste of what those old styles were like.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Pikesville View Post
    If you can track it down, Leopold Bros. in Colorado do an annual release of a Maryland Style rye. If they indeed captured the true essence of what that style was I'm not sure, but it is a beautiful whisky, still very much a rye but with some clear differences from the Western Pennsylvania style that prevades today.
    I certainly second that. The Leopold Bros. Rye is very nice but pretty different. With a BIB reportedly in the works it is one that I am really looking forward to! Just hope it comes to Georgia. Had to work hard to get the distributor to bring the current whiskey here and I would guess the BIB is not going to be made in any greater volume than the current expression and maybe will be less available.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Apprentice

Enjoyed a little of this last night. Got around to looking at my bottle and it's DSP-354, which means the ones I bunkered are also this.
    Last edited by SLOandSteady; 10-28-2013 at 21:05.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    I certainly second that. The Leopold Bros. Rye is very nice but pretty different. With a BIB reportedly in the works it is one that I am really looking forward to! Just hope it comes to Georgia. Had to work hard to get the distributor to bring the current whiskey here and I would guess the BIB is not going to be made in any greater volume than the current expression and maybe will be less available.
    Thanks for the reminder- just dropped them a note asking about the BIB Project. The prospect of one of my favorite whiskies aging a little longer and getting bottled at a little higher proof makes me giddy.

Connoisseur

DSP 1 is finally in Columbia. My personal opinion is that I'm glad I have about a case of 354 in the old bunker. Tomorrow I'm going to check the 3 other stores that carry Ritt BIB to see if there is any 354 left. 10 times out of 10 in blind tastings I could pick them out correctly. I'm just not sold. It has a hint if the sweet wild yeast funky taste that I'm not crazy about. Oh we'll, I'm good for a couple of months.... jMHO

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Pikesville View Post
    Thanks for the reminder- just dropped them a note asking about the BIB Project. The prospect of one of my favorite whiskies aging a little longer and getting bottled at a little higher proof makes me giddy.
    I can't wait to try it. I actually like a bit of the funk.
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by DeanSheen View Post
    I can't wait to try it. I actually like a bit of the funk.
    That's what she said
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    We will be putting down the BIB Maryland Rye in greater quantities than the younger version. We're just a few weeks from dropping 5 new stills into the new distillery, and we should have them up and running in the spring. Our new distillery's entire whiskey program is based on BIB releases.

The new dunnage style warehouse will allow us to age the Maryland Rye on earthen floors with no heating or cooling. I think you'll be pleased with the BIB version. We have a couple of barrels we have held back in our current plant, and they are coming along nicely.

Truly appreciate the interest!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Leopold View Post
    We will be putting down the BIB Maryland Rye in greater quantities than the younger version. . . . . Our new distillery's entire whiskey program is based on BIB releases. . . . .
    Learn from the past, embrace the present and work towards the future.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Leopold View Post
    We will be putting down the BIB Maryland Rye in greater quantities than the younger version. We're just a few weeks from dropping 5 new stills into the new distillery, and we should have them up and running in the spring. Our new distillery's entire whiskey program is based on BIB releases.

The new dunnage style warehouse will allow us to age the Maryland Rye on earthen floors with no heating or cooling. I think you'll be pleased with the BIB version. We have a couple of barrels we have held back in our current plant, and they are coming along nicely.

Truly appreciate the interest!
    Sounds wonderful! I will continue to look forward to this one.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum