Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Rittenhouse rye BIB

Found some of the 354 version today at a local store to go along with the 2 bottles of new make I picked up a few weeks ago. At some point I'll try them side by side to see if I can taste a difference. I don't know if the 1 version has actually arrived in WA yet or not, we have very few stores that actually have Ritt in stock and I picked mine up online.

Taster

I just tried the Ritt BIB DSP 354.
    A while back I jumped onto the rye band wagon and over the last several months have tasted lots of different ryes. I've enjoyed most of them, but they always left me wanting. The young ones had nice flavor notes but a thin mouth feel. The older ones were OK too, but tasted a little over oaked to my palate.
    This Ritt BIB is like no other! When I first nosed and sipped it I immediately thought "furniture polish." But after a little water and air time I was treated to one of the most unique and delicious whiskeys I've had yet- rye or otherwise. The rich grade B maple syrup entry turns into chewy cinnamon and rye bread with hints of eucalyptus. The oak finish has a good bit of char, is slightly bitter (in a good way) and the spices hold on nicely too. Now I know why so many people regard this as a tremendous value, and bar tenders favor it in cocktails. Can't wait to try it in a Manhattan.

By the way. The label says it is a Pennsylvania style rye. Can anyone tell me if that is what makes this rye taste different from most others or is that mostly a marketing statement?

Disciple

It's a marketing statement.
    Jim

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I'd say it's mostly a marketing statement, as Heaven Hill makes the rye it makes. The Rittenhouse brand is named for Rittenhouse Square in Philadelphia. The eastern Pennsylvania style would have been in contrast to the western or Monongahela style, and probably similar to the Maryland style. There is some evidence that the Monongahela style was distinguished by aging in new charred oak barrels, while the Maryland and Pennsylvania styles may have been highly doctored with added flavors, as was common practice at the time. We don't really know a lot about it.

Taster

Thanks for the info. Apparently no antique bottles of these styles survived till now so we don't know for sure exactly what they tasted like. In any case, HH is doing a fine job of making this a distinctive and delicious pour at a price we can afford.
    BTW I'm nearly done with your "Bourbon, Straight" book. Its a very informative and entertaining read.

Quote Originally Posted by Merrymash Monk View Post
    Thanks for the info. Apparently no antique bottles of these styles survived till now so we don't know for sure exactly what they tasted like. In any case, HH is doing a fine job of making this a distinctive and delicious pour at a price we can afford.
    BTW I'm nearly done with your "Bourbon, Straight" book. Its a very informative and entertaining read.
    That is not entirely accurate. If you can find some old dusty bottles of Old Overholt from the original Broadford, Pennsylvania distillery, you can taste true Pennsylvania style rye. It is decidedly different than the rye that is out in production today....and it's unbelievably delicious....but a good condition bottle will set you back a good amount of change. I've had a '53 vintage and am now sitting on a '57 bottle that I think will get cracked when something monumental happens, like my first child.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

The original Overholt Distillery was in West Overton, but Broad Ford was built during Abraham Overholt's lifetime and is the site most associated with the brand. After Prohibition, Broad Ford only operated for a few years. National Distillers, which owned it, owned Large and some other Pennsylvania distilleries. They also bought whiskey for Overholt, all Pennsylvania-made, from Pennco (aka Michter's) and Publicker (aka Continental).

Wouldn't Overholt be considered Monongahela style, as differentiated from the eastern style that original Rittenhouse represents? Overholt and Rittenhouse were more or less the last men standing, with Overholt representing the west and Rittenhouse representing the east.

I'm jealous. I'm not sure if I've even tasted Frankfort, Kentucky Overholt let alone any from Broad Ford, Large, Pennco, or any of the other Pennsylvania distilleries that made it.

Taster

Wow. I'd sure love to try that dusty Overholt. The Overholt available now put out by Jim Beam I found to be really light and watery. Not much to it.

Advanced Taster

Only have seen DSP-354 here.

Ted
    In Society that Outlaws Adventure the Only Adventure is to Outlaw that Society

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Merrymash Monk View Post
    If you can track it down, Leopold Bros. in Colorado do an annual release of a Maryland Style rye. If they indeed captured the true essence of what that style was I'm not sure, but it is a beautiful whisky, still very much a rye but with some clear differences from the Western Pennsylvania style that prevades today.