Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

BOTM 11/14: Maker's Mark Cask Strength

Once again, I'm a little late. So, what else is new?

FWIW, I usually try not to do a BOTM for something quite so new, but I figured that MMCS is starting to pop up at a few places, and some members have been able to purchase it either at the MM gift shop, or in a few store. That being said, I thought I'd go ahead and give it a whirl.

Below are my notes from the MMCS thread.

I think it's pretty darned good. There's a sweetness on entry, but not overly so. It's something akin to cotton candy or candy corn. At mid palate it warms up nicely with some caramel and vanilla showing itself. The overall mouthfeel is fairly rich and surprisingly viscous. The finish is nice and long with the warmness continuing. Good stuff IMHO.

I am fully aware that there is some conjectire about availability and pricing. The BOTM forum isn't the place to debate pricing, and/or whether or not some places may be price gouging, etc…. This thread is basically for tasting notes. How do you like it? I hate to beat a dead horse, but any posts even remotely belittling Maker's Mark, distributors and/or stores that may be taking advantage of things will be deleted. Please don't voice your frustrations here. That being said….

What do y'all think about Maker's Mark Cask Strength?

Cheers, and happy posting! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Enthusiast

Re: BOTM 11/14: Maker's Mark Cask Strength

I'll chime in! I got my bottle shipped last week with the HW Midwinter Night's Dram and the new PHC and this was the first thing I popped open. I'm not going to find my comments in the other thread, but I remember liking this a lot, but thinking the extra proof made the relative youth of the bourbon more noticeable. Not that it was bad, quite the opposite. I find it much better than regular Maker's, and I hope they "find some stock" :RE to make this available a bit more.

Connoisseur

Agreed that the cask strength is better than the regular offerings. I had a 46 open when I got my CS and the higher proof clearly helped put it over the top while still retaining a classic MM profile.

Advanced Taster

Like jvd^^, I had a bottle MM 46 open, so it was natural to do a SBS with MM Cask strength. While it may be obvious, the addition of water just turns down the volume across the nose, palate and finish. To my taste, the water adds nothing positive to the experience. MMCS is simply more intense. If 60% of your sense of taste comes from your sense of smell, the nose on the cask strength version is sweet in a sugary kind of way with nice barrel elements and a touch of heat. The palate of the cask strength follows the nose. It has great mouth feel and intensity. The finish lingers nicely with just the right amount of burn. The nose on the MM46 is muted. On the palate, the water brings out more wood and a clearer alcohol burn. Strange, but it is what I got. The fish is just shorter with less intensity. If the Cask Strength were widely available at a fair price, it would be the only MM product I would ever buy.

Advanced Taster

I was finally able to spend some time with this over the weekend. I'm not a big fan of regular MM, my main complaint being that it is pretty dull. My hope was that the extra proof and (possibly) age on this would give it the boost it needed.

This really tastes like what it is: regular MM dialed up a notch. It has some light brown sugar, cinnamon, and saw dust. Like El Vino, I found the palate and the nose provide the same offerings and water didn't do too much for it. One interesting thing to note is that I kept getting a hint of something bigger and better coming about on the palate, but then the tide of flavor would ebb and nothing new would emerge. Not sure if that's the whiskey's problem or my tongue's.

Overall I liked this more than the other MM offerings, and I have no regrets about my purchase, but I'll have to drink some more to decide whether I want another. And it's quite possible that it will have disappeared from shelves by then.

Enthusiast

Sweet corn, biscuit, cinnamon snickerdoodle cookie, high fructose corn syrup, buttery caramel hard candy. Mild and sweet on the palate, finishes warm and sweet, lingers. Almost no woody notes at all, a SBS with Weller 12 shows the difference that years in the barrel makes on a wheater. Would be very interested in an extra aged version of the cask strength.

Enthusiast

I find myself visiting these threads to live vicariously through you; I had to bunker my collection back in the states while I'm in Germany! Thanks for the descriptions, makes me look forward to reuniting with my stash in a couple years.
    Jason
    "The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on"

2010 Fantasy Football Champion

Advanced Taster

Man, I really want to try this. Hope to find some on the east coast during the holidays.

Enthusiast

I opened up my MMCS last night and I am a bit disappointed. Other than a really nice mouthfeel, I thought it was too dry and too much resinous oak for my tastes. Something happened with Maker's whiskies where I just don't get that sweet fruitiness and creaminess from it anymore that makes, at least in my mind, wheated bourbons so desirable. I'll reserve judgement though, perhaps it just needs to open up a bit or I got a bad batch. Its not like it is bad or anything, but at $32 for 375ml, I really expected more. Much more.

Advanced Taster

I think the move might be to vat the CS with some 46.
    One whiskey for every ghost.