Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

BOTM 4/13: Old Grand Dad 114

No, it's not an April Fools joke. I'm just early for a change.

OGD 114 has been done before, but it's been a little over 6 years. Besides, with all the talk lately, I thought this might be a pretty good time to revisit it. Why not?

My thoughts....I know all the love given OGD 114 here, but I have to say that I just don't care for it all that much. I don't hate it, but the combo of heat and spiciness it has just doesn't agree with my tastes. That's just me. Y'all know me and my love for wheaters. Regardless of what I think, I still know what a good bourbon, and great value OGD 114 is. Soooooooo...........

......Cheers to everyone, and happy posting. Let's hear it for OGD 114!

Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Re: BOTM 4/13: Old Grand Dad 114

Might be early, but I forgot to make it a sticky. Bump....
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Advanced Taster

I kept a bottle at my desk for about a year now. It's not often that I go to it. I find it too aggressively hot and spicy for normal sipping (even with water) unless I'm really in the mood for something so big. However, when no one is around late at night, I might pour a little into my can of Diet Coke...

Guru

Oh, where do I start. Old Grand Dad 114 is a full flavored, full bodied, traditional, old school, old style Bourbon just like your Father and Grand Father used to drink. Full without being heavy, rich without being sweet, spicy without sharp edginess, round, smooth and powerful.

This is one I wouldn't change. I wouldn't say, for instance, that I would like to try it with more age or at a higher proof. It is fully mature as is and has all the alcohol punch one could wish. In a direct comparison with the 86 and 100 proof OGDs the 114 comes across as more mature with greater balance and finesse.

If this were to be introduced today it would cost at least twice as much and receive rave reviews.

Virtuoso

I'm not sure I should even try to add to what squire said above but I will say this. It seems like OGD 114 is a little less hot and better balanced as of late. I can't put my finger on it exactly. I'm not always in the mood for it but when I am it hits the spot like nothing else.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Oh, where do I start. Old Grand Dad 114 is a full flavored, full bodied, traditional, old school, old style Bourbon just like your Father and Grand Father used to drink. Full without being heavy, rich without being sweet, spicy without sharp edginess, round, smooth and powerful.

This is one I wouldn't change. I wouldn't say, for instance, that I would like to try it with more age or at a higher proof. It is fully mature as is and has all the alcohol punch one could wish. In a direct comparison with the 86 and 100 proof OGDs the 114 comes across as more mature with greater balance and finesse.

If this were to be introduced today it would cost at least twice as much and receive rave reviews.
    Ditto on all accounts. I could not have said it any better than Squire did.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    No, it's not an April Fools joke. I'm just early for a change.

OGD 114 has been done before, but it's been a little over 6 years. Besides, with all the talk lately, I thought this might be a pretty good time to revisit it. Why not?

My thoughts....I know all the love given OGD 114 here, but I have to say that I just don't care for it all that much. I don't hate it, but the combo of heat and spiciness it has just doesn't agree with my tastes. That's just me. Y'all know me and my love for wheaters. Regardless of what I think, I still know what a good bourbon, and great value OGD 114 is. Soooooooo...........

......Cheers to everyone, and happy posting. Let's hear it for OGD 114!

Joe
    It took me a while to grow to like it as I am partial to wheaters as well (obviously from my handle)..but I really, really love the stuff. I try to always have it around along with Weller 12 or MM 46.

Guru

I keep a pretty hefty stash of this stuff around. It's a good, straightforward, classic style bourbon. It's also quite different (and better IMO) than the other OGD offerings.

Virtuoso

Through the OGD looking glass. This bourbon is amazing, and there's really little that can be added to Squire's comment. I would probably say this my favorite bourbon being produced by Beam.

Advanced Taster

I started drinking this stuff last summer. Kinda on a lark. Then I kept going back to the store for another bottle and realized I actually LIKED the stuff!

I can't believe it is a Beam product. Just vatted some with 1792 RR. That should spice up the old Ridgemont a little!