Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: BOTM 4/13: Old Grand Dad 114

It is a Beam product but to their credit they use the original Grand Dad mash bill and yeast so it is unlike the standard Beam Bourbons or Ryes.

Connoisseur

I think I will pick up a bottle of this in the next couple of days.

I finally found it at the local wine and spirits superstore, for a whopping $25.00!
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Disciple

I'm not a Beam fan in the least but ODG114 is mighty alright in my book,the proof and profile always finds itself to the top of value pours and one that is always on hand and open in my cabinet.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Guru

You too Ryan? I usually have an open bottle of Grand Dad on hand as well.

Connoisseur

Big fan of OGD 114 as well. Nothing I can really add to Squire's post, but I'll say I enjoy the un-sweetened dark-chocolate flavor I get from it, among other highlights.

I just opened my first bottle of KCSB, and while neat, it tastes like a fuller version of the standard offering... but when I proofed it down to 107-ish, it lost a lot of the powerful sweetness and reminded me a lot of OGD114.

Connoisseur

I recently purchased my first bottle. I find it very hot, even with water. Neat or with a splash I just can't get into it. It was a little better on ice. Where it really shines though is in an Old Fashioned. It seems to be perfect for that. I'll stick to my wheaters and Elmer T for sippin'.

Enthusiast

I just bought my first bottle of it a few months ago, but having finished that one, and several others it has quickly become one of my favorites. I'm too new to know if this is a classic taste or whatever, but to me this is one of the best. I like it neat, first sip is a bit strong, but settles into a nice warmth, with a little punch in the mouth each time. Not to mention that toasted rye nose that's just fantastic.

I think getting conditioned to the 114 pr has got me in trouble, was pouring the father in laws evan williams black like it was water last weekend.

Virtuoso

BOTM 4/13: Old Grand Dad 114

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinman View Post
    was pouring the father in laws evan williams black like it was water last weekend.
    Well, a good bit of it is

Taster

As I live in Hawaii, where our Bourbon selection is not the best, this is the first BOTM for which I actually have a bottle on hand and can participate!

First off, I don't know where I can buy OGD114 anywhere here, I can only find the OGD 80 proof...but thanks to a recommendation from Chuck, on a trip to vegas a couple of years ago, I picked up a bottle. It did not last long. Great stuff.

Here's the funny part...I'm the ringleader amongst my peer group when it comes to whiskey. I try, I buy, and I introduce my friends to it.

I've gotten my friends to sing the praises of FRSB, BT, Rittenhouse Rye, OWA and PVWlotB...all bottles you couldn't find here in Hawaii (well, BT FINALLY appeared in the stores here in the past 2 months), all that I brought back from my mainland whiskey runs in the past few years. But the OGD 114? They're all scared to even try it. They're scared of the proof. Oh well, more for me!
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am...

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinman View Post

I think getting conditioned to the 114 pr has got me in trouble, was pouring the father in laws evan williams black like it was water last weekend.
    I must admit I resemble this remark. Now that I have been enjoying OGD 114 (on one ice cube), I have noticed that my old go yo drink of EC12 just goes down a lot faster than
    it used to. Oh well. In these parts OGD 114 is a little cheaper than EC12 so it's all OK!