Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: BOTM 4/13: Old Grand Dad 114

Squire described it so well, I don't think I can improve on his words.

I like the 114 a lot, but only a few of the larger/older stores around Eastern MA carry it. Among high-proof ryed bourbons, it can't be beat at its price point.
    Last edited by Kalessin; 04-09-2013 at 09:06.

Connoisseur

I don't know if I just got a bad bottle or what, but I bought a current bottle a couple of years ago and have tried it several times since but I can clearly taste the Beam funky yeast. It is IMHO clearly a different beast from the ND stuff of yesteryear which I dearly love. In side-by-side taste of 1980, 1988, 1992(I assume Beam bottling of ND juice), 1999, and 2010, I love the first three and don't care for the last two because of the yeast flavor. The Beam yeast taste is completely absent in first three. Mild in 1999 and strong in 2010. I find it hard to believe they are using the old ND yeast unless they are getting some cross-contamination. Again, JMHO

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I don't know if I just got a bad bottle or what, but I bought a current bottle a couple of years ago and have tried it several times since but I can clearly taste the Beam funky yeast. It is IMHO clearly a different beast from the ND stuff of yesteryear which I dearly love. In side-by-side taste of 1980, 1988, 1992(I assume Beam bottling of ND juice), 1999, and 2010, I love the first three and don't care for the last two because of the yeast flavor. The Beam yeast taste is completely absent in first three. Mild in 1999 and strong in 2010. I find it hard to believe they are using the old ND yeast unless they are getting some cross-contamination. Again, JMHO
    I share your opinion. I've had a few bottles in the past, but recently picked up a new one and the profile has changed. Definite Beam funk in there. Still a great bourbon, but definitely different.

Advanced Taster

After trying the BiB and thinking it was only so-so, I was a little hesitant to buy the 114. Now it has become a staple. For around $20, it can't be beat.
    Women without whiskey...
    Women without whiskey...
    Whiskey's hard to beat.
    - Drive By Truckers

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by JLH3 View Post
    After trying the BiB and thinking it was only so-so, I was a little hesitant to buy the 114. Now it has become a staple. For around $20, it can't be beat.
    I also find there to be a large difference between the two.

They don't taste anything alike to me.
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Novice

After privatization this has completely disappeared from Washington State. Anyone know who I can complain to to get it back?

Guru

I could guess as if it would do any good.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by nblair View Post
    I share your opinion. I've had a few bottles in the past, but recently picked up a new one and the profile has changed. Definite Beam funk in there. Still a great bourbon, but definitely different.
    I hear about "Beam Funk" and similar expressions .. but not sure I understand what you are talking about. Does it include Knob Creek & Maker's?
    Jon

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by HighHorse View Post
    I hear about "Beam Funk" and similar expressions .. but not sure I understand what you are talking about. Does it include Knob Creek & Maker's?
    It would not include Maker's, but frankly if any most of the Beam hater's had never tasted glut-era Beam or ND OGD they would not even mention Beam funk. OGD 114 is very good, just buy it, and enjoy it.

Virtuoso

A little late to the party, but I'll be opening a bottle of this later tonight. I like the OGD114 a lot and usually have an open bottle on hand.