Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

BOTM 4/13: Old Grand Dad 114

Picked a bottle of the OGD BIB and 114 the other day. Prices were 19.99 and 24.99 respectively

The 114 was rich with a lot of burnt sugar notes. A little floral and spicy. Not a bad bourbon at all and the best of the OGDs IMO

Connoisseur

Re: BOTM 4/13: Old Grand Dad 114

Quote Originally Posted by scubadoo97 View Post
    Picked a bottle of the OGD BIB and 114 the other day. Prices were 19.99 and 24.99 respectively

The 114 was rich with a lot of burnt sugar notes. A little floral and spicy. Not a bad bourbon at all and the best of the OGDs IMO
    The BIB is not bad either, but the 114 really stands head and shoulders above it, IMHO.
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Connoisseur

I get big Beam yeast flavor in my current bottle, as in my current BiB. My ones from 1993 to 2006 are much, much more to my taste, better than the ND stuff and what they've put out in the past couple years.

I use OGD114 to spike old fashioned cocktails made with weaker stuff like FRYL or ND OGD 86. I don't see much of a difference between it and the current BiB, so I don't feel it merits any special consideration, nothing more than a mixer.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    I get big Beam yeast flavor in my current bottle, as in my current BiB. My ones from 1993 to 2006 are much, much more to my taste, better than the ND stuff and what they've put out in the past couple years.
    I finished off an '07 recently (bottled on the 204th day ) that was also sublime and could compete with any of the top shelf bottlings like BTACs. I'm waiting to coax similar flavors out of a '12 but so far it ain't happening with more spice, hot and dry than I care for.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Enthusiast

As someone who has never had any ND stuff (or older OGD for that matter) I have to say I really enjoy this bourbon. Its also seems extra exotic to me since you cannot get it in Oregon.

Is there a sticky or guide here on how to date your bottle? I tried searching with little luck.

Advanced Taster

Haven't participated in one of these in a while, but I jumped in on this one. Grabbed a bottle the other day and I have been impressed. It is hot for sure, but is very smooth. Nice rye spice notes and a little creamy sweetness balance this one out.

Was $24.99 on the shelf in CO.

Connoisseur

Same price here in central FL.
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Apprentice

I picked one up in CO while on business last week. Haven't opened it yet, but glad to see it getting a little praise here. I hadn't heard anything about it, didn't even see this thread, until after I had bought it. I was intrigued by the proof and the fact it's pretty hard to find in the Nashville area, as is everything. I have much more success in CO buying bourbon than I do here in a neighboring state of KY.

Advanced Taster

Just cracked it open. Never had it before. Started off neat. A little hot but also some sweetness. Added an ice cube and I think I prefer it neat. I'm looking forward to coming back to this.

Disciple

It's great stuff but it's dangerous.

Pretty easy to get on the wrong side of it if you are not careful.
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination