Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: BOTM 4/13: Old Grand Dad 114

Quote Originally Posted by DeanSheen View Post
    It's great stuff but it's dangerous.

Pretty easy to get on the wrong side of it if you are not careful.
    That is an affirmative. It will sneak up on you if you aren't careful! I find Knob Creek Single Barrel that way as well. It is deliciously smoky, sweet and nutty yet 120 proof..

Apprentice

I picked up a bottle last night (under $22 plus tax at Spec's). It makes a fantastic Old Fashioned! Not sure whether it's the high rye, high proof or big flavors, but it made for a better cocktail than VOB 86, Buffalo Trace, Four Roses SmB and other bottom-/mid-shelfs. I think it was on par with an Old Fashioned I made with Baker's once.

My second experience of the evening was with a splash of water. BIG flavors, but smoother than I expected. I had the feeling of a thousand tiny pinpricks on my tongue long after each sip. Whereas I typically have to slow myself down when sipping other bourbons neat, the OGD 114's finish demanded that I slow my roll. Very interesting effect.

And the funny thing is that, after finishing my pour, I intended to write up these impressions here. But I found myself heading upstairs, brushing my teeth, crawling into bed and falling asleep at 9:30 (about 2 hours earlier than normal). Powerful stuff...

I definitely intend to do more comparisons and critical sipping, but my initial impression is that OGD 114 is a winner. Likely not an everyday sipper though!

PS. I got lots of peanut flavor on the finish.
    Last edited by michang5; 04-28-2013 at 07:50.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by michang5 View Post
    I picked up a bottle last night (under $22 plus tax at Spec's). It makes a fantastic Old Fashioned! Not sure whether it's the high rye, high proof or big flavors, but it made for a better cocktail than VOB 86, Buffalo Trace, Four Roses SmB and other bottom-/mid-shelfs. I think it was on par with an Old Fashioned I made with Baker's once.

My second experience of the evening was with a splash of water. BIG flavors, but smoother than I expected. I had the feeling of a thousand tiny pinpricks on my tongue long after each sip. Whereas I typically have to slow myself down when sipping other bourbons neat, the OGD 114's finish demanded that I slow my roll. Very interesting effect.

And the funny thing is that, after finishing my pour, I intended to write up these impressions here. But I found myself heading upstairs, brushing my teeth, crawling into bed and falling asleep at 9:30 (about 2 hours earlier than normal). Powerful stuff...

I definitely intend to do more comparisons and critical sipping, but my initial impression is that OGD 114 is a winner. Likely not an everyday sipper though!

PS. I got lots of peanut flavor on the finish.

That's a brilliant review, accounting for personal taste, performance in cocktails, and physiological reactions Seriously, very nice going!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    I finished off an '07 recently (bottled on the 204th day ) that was also sublime and could compete with any of the top shelf bottlings like BTACs. I'm waiting to coax similar flavors out of a '12 but so far it ain't happening with more spice, hot and dry than I care for.
    Heh heh, I'll leave it to the lawyers to hammer out the details on the years I haven't had any 2007s, but it's good to know that the "deadline" wasn't until later. I still don't know why they changed, if they indeed did. I can't prove it, of course...

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    That's a brilliant review, accounting for personal taste, performance in cocktails, and physiological reactions Seriously, very nice going!
    Thank you! Very kind of you to say.

I finished another OGD 114 Old Fashioned an hour ago. Delicious again. Even if it doesn't hold up as a neat sipper, I can see keeping a bottle for cocktails from now on.

I know I'm late, but I'll have to pick up a bottle of this soon. I still have two more days!

I have the BIB, and enjoy it very much, but have not had the 114 proof. At $20 and $25 for the two, the BIB is a better value, but I'm curious how the higher proof one tastes and what differences there might be between the two other than just the alcohol content.

Apprentice

Picked up a bottle of this over the weekend at The Party Source for $22. Very smooth and quite flavorful. Glad I tried this, and will re-visit OGD 114 in the future.

Advanced Taster

For me, one of the great things about SB is that it leads me to new whiskey discoveries, and this one was a revelation. Coincidentally, in my pre-SB days when I'd just order a shot of rail bourbon with a beer wash, I would occasionally upgrade to a shot of OGD BIB, which I considered the "good stuff." I had never heard of the 114. I'm late to this BOTM thread because it took me a while to get my hands on a 114, but there it was, in the giant liquor store, tucked in with the other OGDs on the bottom shelf. I've been sampling it for 10 days or so now, and I love it. I'll second Squire's tasting notes from early in this thread, but I'm not sure if the 114 should remain unchanged: I'd like a more complex nose and a finish that lingered a little longer, but that's nitpicking. I also agree with Squire that if this label launched today, it would be marketed as a top-shelf bourbon at twice the price. This is a great bourbon at a great price that will become a regular purchase of mine. Thanks for picking this as BOTM, Joe.
    Last edited by Chuckles; 05-01-2013 at 09:45. Reason: Fixing black type on black background; my bad.

Trippah and Admin

Dark text on a dark background doesn't work here.

It is best to leave the defaults when posting since some of us don't use the default skin and it makes the posts unreadable.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Taster

I finally got around to buying a bottle of this, and now that I'm about half way through it I can say that I really like this stuff. It will be in my regular rotation. It's a great whiskey for taking hiking too due to the higher proof...a little goes a long way for those nighttime nips.