Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: BOTM 4/13: Old Grand Dad 114

Is the Lot No. on these at all significant? The bottle I just picked up specifies Lot No. 1, unless it has been sitting on a shelf for a long time, it doesn't seem that A) plausible or B) significant.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by JKLS View Post
    Is the Lot No. on these at all significant? The bottle I just picked up specifies Lot No. 1, unless it has been sitting on a shelf for a long time, it doesn't seem that A) plausible or B) significant.
    Your instincts are right, that is the universal Lot no. 1 on OGD114 bottles. True dusties, like ND Old Grandad 114 just can't be found in CT, unless you hit really sketchy spots and know what your looking for, but even then slim pickings for old dusties. New Englanders drink too hard to leave anything behind.

Apprentice

I'm close to finishing my first bottle of OGD114. My overall impression is that it is a good bourbon and will buy it again. The longer I had it open, the better it got to me for some reason. Pour'd neat, it was a little rough, opened up well with a few cubes of ice and mixed well with my Coke Zero. The minuses for me, if called that, is that it almost always had a slight funky aftertaste that to this day I can't quite find an adjective to describe, I can't say it was disgusting but I can't say I liked it either; maybe as I develop my palate and senses the words will come to me. I will say that it was notable that I didn't experience this aftertaste Weller 12, WT101, and Elijah Craig 12 yr, or even the Kirkland Bourbon. I didn't mind the higher proof of the OGD114, but think I prefer the balance in flavor with a slightly lower proof (@100). My first neat sip of OGD114 took me back to @ 10 years old when my grandpa let me sip his bourbon during a Christmas Party, in front of the family. Big laughs... I think I managed to make the same face again. For me, the Weller 12 and Elijah Craig 12 really stand out and are my top two favorites-so far, but as mentioned earlier, for the price point and higher proof, OGD will be purchased again. Thanks!

Connoisseur

If you think you might like it at a lower proof, try OGD BIB. As to that "funky aftertaste," it is known around here as That Beam Funk. Some of us actually like it. As you say, the longer it is open, the better it gets.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Guru
    I thought OGD was made with ND yeast?

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...t.php?p=333820

Edit: should mention that the Beam funk is often associated with Beam yeast - perhaps the "funk" you're getting in the OGD is the result of something else in the Beam "process"?
    Last edited by ChainWhip; 07-03-2013 at 09:54.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    I thought OGD was made with ND yeast? Re: BOTM 4/13: Old Grand Dad 114 http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...t.php?p=333820 Edit: should mention that the Beam funk is often associated with Beam yeast - perhaps the "funk" you're getting in the OGD is the result of something else in the Beam "process"?
    I'd swear up and down that OGD, both the BiB and 114, production has changed in the past few years. I've compared bottles from the '90s and '00s to stuff from 2011 onward, and there's a dramatic difference. The older stuff - and I'm talking 2006 or earlier, not dusties at all - had a nice chili and butterscotch flavor, while the new stuff tastes malty with a bit of orange, and "Beam"y to me. I just can't drink the stuff. It could well be that the yeast is the same as it's been, but SOMETHING has to have changed.

Disciple

I got a bad headache after my first pour of OGD 114. I have no allergies and I don't think that it was the proof. My guess is that I was just going to get a headache because I have not experienced it in subsequent pours. I find the more I sample this bourbon, the more I like it. Some describe it as "smooth" considering the proof. I am not sure what "smooth" means but I know that I can drink this neat or with a cube pretty easily.

Every time I drink OGD, I think of squire. I had never tried it until I joined SB.

Virtuoso

Squire has sold more VOB and OGD than all of Barton and Beam's marketing ploys combined simply by posting on these boards. MM has the ambassador program. I hope Beam and Barton recognize our own squire at some point. He is a voice of reason in these crazy bourbon times and an advocate for the under appreciated value pour.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Apprentice

The "Beam Funk" huh? Ok now I know what that is, thanks. I think I'll prefer to call it the "Beam Linger..." though. Sounds more palatable??? For the insignificant sum of ## OGD 114 bottles, for each SB member, Beam's marketing dept may use this new slogan.

Advanced Taster

I had my first pour of this tonight. This is without a doubt going to become a regular pour. If I hadn't known better, I would have sworn that I was drinking a bourbon at double the price. I like the intense amount of flavor I get on the front of the tongue. I'd have to say that I prefer this to the BIB (which I do like very much). Great stuff!