Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: BOTM 4/13: Old Grand Dad 114

I am a huge fan of OGD 114! its one i find myself going back to on a constant basis, and I can get it for about $20 dollars a bottle at that price you can't beat it.

Enthusiast

My favourite bourbon. OGD 114 and the original OGD (never had the Bib), I always have some bottles around. I usually like the Beam stuff: Bakers, Basil Hayden, Knob Creek, Bookers, the small batch range is pretty good, or? But the 114 is the best. I drink it with a splash of water.
    "With your bitch slap rappin' and your cocaine tongue, you get nothin' done"

Enthusiast

One of Richard Pryor's great lines was: "I'm in love with a (woman) I can't stand!".

That was sorta my first impression of OGD114 not too many months back. The bartender opened a new bottle and I ordered a pour. The first nose and sip nearly knocked me off my stool. "Damn, that's some nasty stuff", I thought or, likely, said. For some reason I was distracted for quite a while and went back to that pour sitting on the bar. I went in for seconds. It was an amazing transformation. This stuff had settled down into a rich, complex and very tasty bourbon. I added a couple of cubes and then had the bartender pour it for several of the porch buddies. All experienced the first drink roughness and later the smooth, enjoyable grown-up bourbon.

I keep a lot of bottles open for sipping. The OGD114 comes up for replacement while others sit waiting.

Don't let that early barking and growling scare you off. This one will sit at your feet and keep you company as long as you like!
    Jon

Novice

I had a very similar experience. I absolutely despised this stuff at first (and it was one of my first bottles). The bottle sat for a few months before I filled a flask to take to a cigar event where I found it rather enjoyable.

I'm not entirely sure if it was my tastes growing, or if the bottle improved over a few openings with some time on the shelf, but I wouldn't hesitate to get another bottle.

Enthusiast

The first time I bought a bottle of it, I thought it was astringent tasting and I was put-off by it. I gave it another shot, and I'm glad that I did because the next bottle turned out to be outstanding. It is now something I keep on hand at all times. I like the darker brooding flavor of this version better than the 86 and the BiB. I go through a good amount of OGD BiB and have found variance from bottle to bottle, so I'm thinking my first 114 was a bad bottle.

Connoisseur

I just got my first bottle. OGD 114 virgin no more.

My first impression is Wooooooo this is one hot bourbon!

The alcohol really smacked me in the face, then as the burn slowly subsides all these great flavors start to emerge, the main one being sweet caramel corn.

I think it might really grow on me, but I'm definitely going to have it with a lot of ice.
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Taster

OGD 114 dominates at its price.

For what its worth, as the bottle was open for the 6 weeks I had it it took on more a more nutty flavor. That is, more almonds not more crazy.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Alden View Post
    I think it might really grow on me, but I'm definitely going to have it with a lot of ice.
    It's funny, I often drink my bourbon with one or two ice cubes, but OGD 114 I either take neat or with a little cold water. It doesn't take ice well, to my taste.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Oh, where do I start. Old Grand Dad 114 is a full flavored, full bodied, traditional, old school, old style Bourbon just like your Father and Grand Father used to drink. Full without being heavy, rich without being sweet, spicy without sharp edginess, round, smooth and powerful.

This is one I wouldn't change. I wouldn't say, for instance, that I would like to try it with more age or at a higher proof. It is fully mature as is and has all the alcohol punch one could wish. In a direct comparison with the 86 and 100 proof OGDs the 114 comes across as more mature with greater balance and finesse.

If this were to be introduced today it would cost at least twice as much and receive rave reviews.
    can't really improve on this as squire nails it. i'm happy i can find this readily without need to bunker.
    "We're still here. Scarred but here. But then again, we were invincible then."

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Oh, where do I start. Old Grand Dad 114 is a full flavored, full bodied, traditional, old school, old style Bourbon just like your Father and Grand Father used to drink. Full without being heavy, rich without being sweet, spicy without sharp edginess, round, smooth and powerful.

This is one I wouldn't change. I wouldn't say, for instance, that I would like to try it with more age or at a higher proof. It is fully mature as is and has all the alcohol punch one could wish. In a direct comparison with the 86 and 100 proof OGDs the 114 comes across as more mature with greater balance and finesse.

If this were to be introduced today it would cost at least twice as much and receive rave reviews.
    I'll echo again that Squire pretty much covered it. My only addition ... I like it!
    "They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games."
    -- Casey Stengel