Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whisky Prices

Guru

Whisky Prices

Newspaper or other print ads you fellas may have come across from say 1960 to 1975 listing the prices of whisky for sale. I am particularly interested in Jack Daniels, Evan Williams Black label and Ezra Brooks 90 proof.

Connoisseur

Re: Whisky Prices

It's kind of wonky to work with, but if you go to http://news.google.com/newspapers, you can search a few million pages of old newspapers that Google was digitizing for a few years. The advertising money that would have paid for the project never really materialized, but they left the work they did before the project shut down online.

Disciple

Squire, I had some luck with 1960's ads in the St. Petersburg Times and Pittsburgh Press. Here is a link I saved to April 6, 1960 Pittsburgh Press ad showing Old Fitzgerald at $6.95 a Fifth and Cabin Still at $5.00...an inflation calculator shows that $6.95 is at $54.85 today.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...l+weller&hl=en
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    Squire, I had some luck with 1960's ads in the St. Petersburg Times and Pittsburgh Press. Here is a link I saved to April 6, 1960 Pittsburgh Press ad showing Old Fitzgerald at $6.95 a Fifth and Cabin Still at $5.00...an inflation calculator shows that $6.95 is at $54.85 today.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...l+weller&hl=en
    Man, what a different time! So, based on inflation, these brands are a bargain!

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by mbroo5880i View Post
    Man, what a different time! So, based on inflation, these brands are a bargain!
    Maybe, but a lot better juice back then Id say!

Guru

The impact of inflation is definitely interesting, and considering how much tax is included in the retail price - sort of amazing that we're able to buy anything worthwhile for under $20, let alone under $10.

I found some interesting prices when looking back there though!

From The Palm Beach Post, Dec 10, 1969:

On Sale - 18" Color TV for just $329.95
    Maverick Torino hardtop for just $1,995

Walgreens Discount Liquors offering Bourbon Supreme for $3.79 a fifth, or Old Stagg Bourbon for $3.99 a quart! Go uptown with Harper's Bourbon for $4.79 a fifth.
    various_1969.png
    Or Crown Liquors, where 100 proof Old Grand Dad is just $5.39 a fifth (same price as a fifth of Old Fitz 100 proof
    OGD_1969.png
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru

Yes, I remember when you could buy entry level Bourbons for less then $4.00 a fifth. I'll bet the NDPs would love to get their hands on some of that bottom shelf stuff now.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

I think it is interesting how the prices differ by products. Similar bottle of bourbon today is 5x that price (more or less), while the price of a car is 25x the price at that time . . . and you can get a TV twice the size for the same price today. What a world . . .
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Advanced Taster

Old Fitz can be had for $12 a 750ml in my neck of the woods. The fact that the price in nominal dollars has only gone up $5.00 in 53 years is amazing.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    I think it is interesting how the prices differ by products. Similar bottle of bourbon today is 5x that price (more or less), while the price of a car is 25x the price at that time . . . and you can get a TV twice the size for the same price today. What a world . . .

or the '71 Hemicuda convertible you couldve bought for a "measly" $6000 new that would now set you back about $5 million now......