Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Looking for info on James E Pepper Join, Or Die Bourbon

My question around the JE Pepper Join, Or Die started when I went to pick up a bottle of their 1776. I went to a local wine shop that also has some more eclectic bourbons to pick it up and when I pulled it off the shelf the first bottle had a ripped label so I pulled the bottle behind it to get one in better shape, when I pulled that one off the shelf it exposed a 3rd bottle that looked the same but had a different label, see below. I have not been able to find much information about this one online and it has a very unique taste. I did contact the distiller and they did provide some information and said it was a very small release. Has anyone else come across this, if so what are your thoughts?

<br />
    <br />
    <br/>

Guru

Re: Looking for info on James E Pepper Join, Or Die Bourbon

It's just a cheaper version of their 15yr. Both versions are sourced from other distilleries. Nothing special about it unless it's special to you.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

So below is what I got back from the manufacturer.

Hi David,

Thanks for the email and interest in our whiskies. *Are you referring to our bourbon with the "Join, or Die" flag across the front label? *If so, that was a very limited and rare production of craft expression (pot distilled and aged in KY) of our James E. Pepper whiskey brand (www.JamesEPepper.com). *That whiskey is no longer in production and most bottles have long been drunk! *So a nice find indeed. *It was actually aged about 6 months in 5 gallon barrels. Mash bill had a high amount of corn - about 80% and the rest was rye and malted barley. *distilled in a 50 gallon, antique copper pot still. Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Cheers,

Amir Peay

Georgetown Trading Co.
    www.GeorgetownTrading.com*

Guru

They are a Non Distiller Producer (NDP.) They didn't make it, they bought bulk whiskey from another distiller and just bottled it , or more likely had someone else bottle it for them, and the rest is fluff - copper pot still my ass.

Ask them who distilled it and see how they respond.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

I was a little skeptical, when I opened it and tasted it my first thought was small, home batch bourbon. I wonder if this was them actually trying their hand at distilling a small run to see how it would turn out. It is definitely a unique taste.

Connoisseur

I believe James E. Pepper rye is from Lawrenceburg, IN. Maybe their bourbon is too, but I'm not sure. Does it list the state where it was distilled on the label?

Guru

If they actually distilled it then they should have no trouble giving you their DSP # and address of their distillery, etc.

Perhaps I inquire further! ;-)

Guru

Tell them you want to drop by for a tour...you know...to see that cool cooper still and the ricks filled with 5 gallon barrels.

Disciple

Haven't seen or tried their bourbon but their rye is excellent and I don't care who distilled or bottled it. It's just that good.