Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: The allure of value bourbons: quality, quantity or both?

The way I think of it is like a bell shaped curve. Many distilleries have their low priced 80 proof "well" whiskey. Then, if you spend just a few bucks more, and get a little more proof, and or age, the quality goes up dramatically. At some point it becomes much more esoteric.

Quote Originally Posted by WsmataU View Post
    Any time I feel bad about over-spending on bourbon, I just take a stroll down the scotch aisle and immediately feel better.

I feel the same way, I look at a bottle of 40 dollar bourbon and think well at the low end a decent bottle of scotch is around 70. I started with scotch and then moved to bourbon. I prefer the taste and the price.

As for the bargains.....well everyone loves a good deal and no matter what people say for 90 percent of people price is a factor to consider. So if there is good stuff and its cheap well that makes it even better Now I sit here wondering why I haven't gotten a bottle of AAA.

Guru

I can go on at length about my preferences but I cannot tell anyone else what they will like.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    It's much more simple than a paragraph. Walk into store, buy bourbon. If you like it, buy more. If you can't afford it, then it's not worth it unless someone else is paying.
    Pretty much covers everything I got out of my graduate micro-economics class at the U of R.
    Sto lat!!!

bllygthrd

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by CoMobourbon View Post
    Yeah, that is the one small frustrating thing I have found about this site. Out of misguided politeness, fear of embarrassment, or single-minded devotion to the try-it-yourself-orthodoxy, people - often the most knowledgeable and insightful people - will sometimes refuse to really answer any question that requires them to take a stand or express an opinion. The all-taste-is-subjective orthodoxy is much better than the alternative, but it has become a knee jerk reaction that limits potentially better discussions. Rather than hide behind that subjectivity tenet, we should use it as a starting point to build more ideas and opinions about bourbon.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    It's much more simple than a paragraph. Walk into store, buy bourbon. If you like it, buy more. If you can't afford it, then it's not worth it unless someone else is paying.
    Case in point. (in so far as it is possible to ever ever say that)
    I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
    ― Kurt Vonnegut

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by black mamba View Post
    I enjoy vatting different whiskies to come up with a given flavor I'm looking for, and can usually get very, very close to some $40+ bottles for half the money.
    Please start a thread on this, Simulacrum Bourbon. I am most interested!

Taster

A few things:

1. One of the reasons I am particularly interested in HQ bottom shelf bourbons is that I hate corked bourbons. I have had several experiences with aged higher end bourbons that have been ruined by cork taste. I literally poured $50 worth of Blantons Silver down the drain last night as it was undrinkable. Due to where I am, the heat is hell on corks so I no longer want to pick up corked bottles unless they are new product for immediate consumption. So no corked dusties and and no corked bunkering. So I am on the lookout for the best plastic cap bourbon I can find.

2. Another reason is that I have found several middle shelf higher dollar bourbons uninspiring- WR, MM, and BT being prime examples. They may be smoother than their cheaper brethrin, but their is not all that much going on. If I wanted less flavor, some 4 year olds suit me just fine- export KSBW Early Times and export KSBW Kentucky Gentleman for example. I really hate a bottle of KC I have, it is horrible- just char and burn (I will admit, I suspect it was mishandled at some point before I got it).

Maybe on point 2 I am just ignorant of the other options, or I have only had bad luck with lemon bottles, but thats my opinion and it is fresh smelling!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by PaulO View Post
    The way I think of it is like a bell shaped curve. Many distilleries have their low priced 80 proof "well" whiskey. Then, if you spend just a few bucks more, and get a little more proof, and or age, the quality goes up dramatically. At some point it becomes much more esoteric.
    The point of diminishing returns... it's how roughly 90% of my bourbon purchases are judged.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Enthusiast

Holy post-from-the-dead resurrection Batman!

For the record, one year later (to the day) my original statement is not valid to me. I have about 100 more bottles of bourbon since then, and I'm not interested in all of them being expensive, rare, limited edition labels. Point of diminishing returns is a great summary. Even with bottles of BTAC, PHC, PVW, FRLE and others open, I equally enjoy ETL, EWSB, SB Blend and even Makers 46 - great bourbon that I can replenish (most) any time for a reasonable price.

The original post would have led to more thoughtful responses if I had left out the last paragraph altogether.

Enthusiast

@DBM Heh, I was just reading this revived post and was coming to the conclusion that it is all about diminishing returns. And then bam, you mentioned it right there.

On other whiskey communities (not just bourbon) where notes are scored, you can find this relationship of diminishing returns very apparent if you graphed them.