Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: The allure of value bourbons: quality, quantity or both?

Blind tastings can be eye-opening (sorry!) when thinking about these things.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Connoisseur

I genuinely think OGD 114, VOB 86 proof, and Weller 12 are very, very good. I'd pay a lot more than $13 for VOB, and would certainly pay more for Weller 12 and OGD 114..but I am glad I don't have to. I think VOB 86 proof is the best sub 90 proof whiskey out there.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by DBM View Post
    I can understand why some threads encourage the "don't ask us, make your own opinions" responses, but I dont understand what makes you think that I haven't. I tried to word my message to specifically avoid that response, but will accept that I failed. I want others thoughts on how price, quality and quantity interact with each other.

You have to admit that it's not a typical environment. You will not find wine collectors discussing the merits of their Lafites and Margauxs while also singing the praise of $4.99 case buys from the corner market.

If it helps lower the defenses a little, I am thoroughly enjoying a bottle of $14.99 FC. I didn't say I was a snob, I just stated that I am not put off by the higher prices as others might be, and ask why more attention is paid to the lower cost labels in general.
    Straw man - the answer is clear, if you've read the discussions they clearly state that in the opinions of some the value-bourbons are just as good as much higher priced bourbons. Either you simply don't believe what these people have said or you believe there's something more to say about it. For me, I believe the question has been answered over and over and over and over again. I can see if you want to discuss specific pairings, but discussing the general subject is akin to tweedling one's thumbs.
    Last edited by MauiSon; 04-02-2013 at 15:24.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    Blind tastings can be eye-opening (sorry!) when thinking about these things.
    This does bring up a great point and I've actually had people angered for this very reason.A fun experiment is to buy several things of similar proof and mash bill of different price ranges and put it to the test,then and only then will you have concrete evidence of what you like and why.The cost on some of those bottles tasted will show you that price doesn't always reign supreme.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Guru

Why did they get mad? Can you give us an example?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by WAINWRIGHT View Post
    This does bring up a great point and I've actually had people angered for this very reason.A fun experiment is to buy several things of similar proof and mash bill of different price ranges and put it to the test,then and only then will you have concrete evidence of what you like and why.The cost on some of those bottles tasted will show you that price doesn't always reign supreme.
    I couldn't agree more - and it isn't just the price but I've found that I had pre-conceived notions based on what I've read. Great example for me was WT101 - there is a lot of chatter about how WT is only a shadow of what it was, how it has gone downhill, etc. All of this lead me to expect disappointment from WT101 - but when I did a blind tasting I was surprised to find that I really enjoyed it! And it isn't overly expensive! I honestly think had I known what was in the glass, my expectations would have impacted my assessment, and I would have lost out on discovering that I enjoy a reasonable, and widely available, bourbon.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    Why did they get mad? Can you give us an example?
    Preconception,myself included can greatly influence what's truly in the glass just as Gary said.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Enthusiast

I think with bourbon such comparisons must be made on a brand by brand basis. My favorite bourbon for the money is HH Old Style White Label BIB. When I am somewhere that it's available, I stock up, because it is not available where I live. EC12 is the same juice, but older. I like older whiskies, and even though EC12 is double the price of HHW BIB, it's still very affordable at $22, so I'm a frequent buyer.

The RHF to ETL is another good comparison. I prefer RHF, but not $20 worth, so I rarely buy it over the ETL, but every 4-6 times I do. I'm grateful that I'm old enough to have tried all the Pappys and all the BTACs when they were more affordable, but no longer am willing to put in the time and effort and money to pursue them. I enjoy vatting different whiskies to come up with a given flavor I'm looking for, and can usually get very, very close to some $40+ bottles for half the money.

As with most things, to get something appreciably better (or older, as in my case of liking aged bourbon), you have to spend a lot more. Sometimes it's worth it, but if I drank expensive bourbon all the time, it would lose some of it's "specialness."

Enthusiast

For me, it's simple: I don't like spending money, but I like drinking tasty bourbon.
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Connoisseur

I can get much better domestically produced whiskey for the same price I was paying for the cheaper and weaker flavored scotches I was usually forced to buy, due to my lack of funds.

Most single malt Scotch is WAY overpriced; I did not really know that before I started drinking bourbon.

Now, I know.
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway