Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: The allure of value bourbons: quality, quantity or both?

It's all individual, really. Personally, I don't like spending over $20-25 for an everyday pour, and I can get a lot of not just decent but really good bourbon and rye in that price range and under - even at 100 proof or better.

Disciple

The allure of value bourbons: quality, quantity or both?

Had the OP joined the site in October rather than February, the question might be whether we talk about anything besides one particular premium brand. Just saying.
    Jim

Enthusiast

It appears I over-analyzed my original post that derailed the mindset of those who responded. I was really just curious how much the praise for lower cost bourbons is influenced by the price.

It sounds like the majority opinion is that bourbon (from the big distilleries) generally fits within a pretty narrow quality scale (when comparing similar known attributes such as age and mashbill), but a broad price range. The attention is given to the (better) lower cost bourbon because it's 90% of the experience at a fraction of the price of the "100% experience", in quotes because I know that's subjective. Fair?

Guru

I favor rye recipe Bourbon generally and Old Grand Dad specifically, which I would continue to buy if it costs more or less.

Connoisseur

For me the allure of the VOB's, Tom Moore BIB, and OGD's are pure superiority. I prefer their taste over the tastes of Bookers, Noah's Mill, etc. Like Squire, I like the heavy rye recipe bourbons, and OGD and OF have the taste I enjoy.

A higher price product I love is 4 Roses single barrel. I drink more of that than Old Forester, but I enjoy them both. I will admit that there is a certain PQR (Price to Quality Ratio) that has to be met for me to stock something regularly, but when they meet for my palate and wallet, I will willingly purchase them.

So then we get to your question: would you still prefer OGD BiB over RHF if they were the same price? Yes. Again, taste is subjective, and my taste says OGD BIB.

Hope that helps some.
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by DBM View Post
    The attention is given to the (better) lower cost bourbon because it's 90% of the experience at a fraction of the price of the "100% experience", in quotes because I know that's subjective. Fair?
    Yes, I enjoy getting 70-80% of the experience at 20-30% of the cost ... Also, being in WV, my choices are limited, so I hate to swill my harder to obtain higher priced finds.
    Sto lat!!!

bllygthrd

Advanced Taster

It appears I over-analyzed my original post that derailed the mindset of those who responded. I was really just curious how much the praise for lower cost bourbons is influenced by the price.
    Actually, I would argue that the OP question was overly simplistic, not overly analytical. No offense, really, but the problem wasn't that you were over-analytical so much as it was that you asked the wrong (overly simplistic question) question.

It sounds like the majority opinion is that bourbon (from the big distilleries) generally fits within a pretty narrow quality scale (when comparing similar known attributes such as age and mashbill), but a broad price range. The attention is given to the (better) lower cost bourbon because it's 90% of the experience at a fraction of the price of the "100% experience", in quotes because I know that's subjective. Fair?
    Yes and no.

Yes, good value bourbon is virtually as good as top shelf stuff for much less money. Sometimes value bourbon is every bit as good as top-shelf but is in some way different, and sometimes it is every bit as good and almost identical, but yeah, generally, it is almost as good at a fraction of the price. If that is what you were looking for, than that is the answer that I agree with. (IMHO and all of that.)

But no, that is not why value bourbons get attention / get talked about on bourbon hobbyist forums like this one. That is another question altogether - and one with an entirely different answer. I offered my response to that question at length earlier. (In short, discussion of value bourbon involves insider knowledge, which is both the core content of and the participation criteria for hobbyist forums like this one.) If you didn't really intend to ask that question or hear the answer to it, that's understandable. But that is the question you asked.
    Last edited by CoMobourbon; 04-03-2013 at 20:36.
    I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
    ― Kurt Vonnegut

Advanced Taster

"100% experience", in quotes because I know that's subjective. Fair?
    Yeah, that is the one small frustrating thing I have found about this site. Out of misguided politeness, fear of embarrassment, or single-minded devotion to the try-it-yourself-orthodoxy, people - often the most knowledgeable and insightful people - will sometimes refuse to really answer any question that requires them to take a stand or express an opinion. The all-taste-is-subjective orthodoxy is much better than the alternative, but it has become a knee jerk reaction that limits potentially better discussions. Rather than hide behind that subjectivity tenet, we should use it as a starting point to build more ideas and opinions about bourbon.
    I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
    ― Kurt Vonnegut

Connoisseur

Like the Squire, I believe that a lot can be learned from tasting blind. My wife and I like to play Stump the Chump. One of us will pour two or three bourbons in Glencairns out of sight of the other. Even when they are bourbons we have been drinking regularly for years, it is surprising how often our "sophisticated palates" leave us feeling like chumps. And no fair pitting a wheater against a high rye like OGD 114 or a barrel strength against a 90 proofer. We also enjoy vertical tasting blind; e.g., three or so of the EWSB to see just how much difference we can note from vintage to vintage. Or, vertically within a bourbon family; e.g., AAA, BT, ETL, and ER or Blanton's. Or the ever popular Kirkland's, KC, and Baker's tasteoff.
    It do have a way of keeping you humble.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Disciple

It's much more simple than a paragraph. Walk into store, buy bourbon. If you like it, buy more. If you can't afford it, then it's not worth it unless someone else is paying.