Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Apprentice

Thumbs up New Mash Bills from LDI/MGP

This could get interesting in a few years when these get a little age on them.
    The additions include the following products: two new rye whiskeys, one made from 51% rye and 49% barley malt, and the other made with 51% rye, 45% corn and 4% barley malt; a 95% wheat whiskey; a 100% barley malt whiskey; and two bourbons, one produced with 45% wheat, and the other produced with 49% barley malt. The production of each is scheduled to begin this month.
    http://www.nasdaq.com/article/mgp-ex...8#.UVr3FByG18E
    Last edited by LiveFromLou; 04-02-2013 at 08:27. Reason: formatting

Guru

New Mash Bills from LDI/MGP

This hearkens a bit to the "these are the good days" thread - I'm interested in the journey these whiskies will take before ending up in my cabinet :-)

Edit: ending up in my belly!
    Last edited by ChainWhip; 04-02-2013 at 09:37.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

Re: New Mash Bills from LDI/MGP

I'm particularly intrigued by the 51/45/4 rye corn barley mashbill. That sounds like it would be something akin to VWFRR, which to my palate does have a fair amount of corn. (IIRC 51/38/11 is the mashbill for VWFRR). I'd love to taste that at 8 years of age. Can't wait for the 2020s.

Disciple

New Mash Bills from LDI/MGP

Quote Originally Posted by Wryguy View Post
    I'm particularly intrigued by the 51/45/4 rye corn barley mashbill. That sounds like it would be something akin to VWFRR, which to my palate does have a fair amount of corn. (IIRC 51/38/11 is the mashbill for VWFRR). I'd love to taste that at 8 years of age. Can't wait for the 2020s.
    51ish percent rye with high corn is the mashbill for Rittenhouse, Baby Saz/THH, WT rye, Beam rye... Basically LDI is adding a typical Kentucky style rye to their lineup.
    Jim

Virtuoso

Wow, this is exciting news. The 51/49 Rye/Malt sounds extremely interesting, and I'm always looking to try new single malts from here in the states.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    This hearkens a bit to the "these are the good days" thread - I'm interested in the journey these whiskies will take before ending up in my cabinet :-)

Edit: ending up in my belly!
    Which, in turn, segues me to the "What if microdistillers put out something good" thread - I'm much more interested in the new whiskey that LDI/MGP will put out than anything that 99% of the crafts will during the same time period. My confidence factor on the LDI products that they will be "average" to "better" is 80%. I'm saddened to say, my same confidence factor when applied to the micros, is 80% they will be "below average" and "worse"...with just a couple of exceptions...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Disciple

This is good news,a great step towards the future with the rye resurgence in full swing.LDI/MGP was put out a lot of quality products in the last few years it will be interesting to see how and when these products hit the market.I hope to see a few of these with a good amount of age on them,now all we have to do is wait.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Guru

Great news. Hopefully a sign that MGPI is on the way up.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Which, in turn, segues me to the "What if microdistillers put out something good" thread - I'm much more interested in the new whiskey that LDI/MGP will put out than anything that 99% of the crafts will during the same time period. My confidence factor on the LDI products that they will be "average" to "better" is 80%. I'm saddened to say, my same confidence factor when applied to the micros, is 80% they will be "below average" and "worse"...with just a couple of exceptions...
    Joe, is your lack of confidence in the craft outfits because you feel that they are producing lower quality distillate / still figuring out the art of distillation, or because they tend to age their whiskey for short periods of time in smaller casks to help with short term cash flow?

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by VT Mike View Post
    Joe, is your lack of confidence in the craft outfits because you feel that they are producing lower quality distillate / still figuring out the art of distillation, or because they tend to age their whiskey for short periods of time in smaller casks to help with short term cash flow?
    I honestly don't know, Mike. Could be some, or all, of the factors that you mention. Or, something else. It's just that of the multiple craft whiskies that I've tried, I have been totally underwhelmed. Berkshire Mountain Bourbon did taste like a bourbon, at least. So, I have hopes for them. Leopold's Small Batch American Whiskey was nicely flavored, balanced, and worthy of a repeat buy by me, too. I will admit that I believe the micros can do justice to corn whiskey. A couple of crafts have made a corn whiskey that I've enjoyed. I just can't say I have much hope for the bourbons and ryes in general, though.

I'll say that I just have more hopes in the majors expanding their product lines, creating new mash bills and offering palatable experimentals, than I have with the vast majority of micros producing anything even approaching the quality of the very-bottom-shelfers of the majors. But, I hope they keep trying, and prove me wrong.

Again, I am looking forward to what MGP can do with these new mashbills. They surprised the heck out of me with the tastiness of their rye in the various interations out on the market, even though I find their bourbon lacking as compared to other large distiller products.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama