Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: New Mash Bills from LDI/MGP

A Willet cask strength single malt in 20 years?

Connoisseur

All of this begs the question. Will they sell all of these new whiskies to whomever wants to buy them, or are they going bottle, market, and sell their own brands??

Either way, indeed intriguing.
    The liver is evil. It must be punished...

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Phil T View Post
    All of this begs the question. Will they sell all of these new whiskies to whomever wants to buy them, or are they going bottle, market, and sell their own brands??
    According to Dykstra, the company's new wheat whiskey and wheat bourbon "will be among some of the more unique products of their type" in the marketplace. "The popularity of wheat-based spirits, mainly in the white goods category, has grown in recent years," he said. "We expect this to favorably impact demand for products in the brown goods category, as well, and want to be firmly positioned to help our customers in the branded packaged goods arena meet that demand."

Read more:
    http://www.nasdaq.com/article/mgp-ex...#ixzz2PLJTFsID

Sounds to me that they are diversifying their mashbills due to increased demand from their branded packaged goods customers. I don't see anything about bottling their own juice. On the one hand, it would be great to get to taste a wide range of mashbills from the same distillery. On the other hand, who's to say that the independent bottlers that source their juice from MGPI will reveal which mashbill/blend of mashbills they're using?

It's been kind of comforting to know that when you see some brand's whiskey labeled as distilled in IN, you have a good idea what to expect. With this expansion, independent bottlers' expression will be even more of a crapshoot. I see prices rising and any movement in the industry towards more transparency halted and reversed. Or maybe I'm just being pessimistic.

Maybe I'm taking this too far, but wouldn't the industry benefit more from encouraging consumers' curiosity about the ins and outs of what they're drinking rather than further relying on marketing gimmickry to win sustained interest in a brand? Maybe MGPI can put it in their contract that their bottling customers must supply the mashbill used for the whiskey on the label!
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Enthusiast

I think I'd like to try almost all of those!

Aaron, I'm sure prices will go up (they always do), but when MGPI bought LDI, the transparency increased. I suspect we'll see more of everything, from transparency to marketing gimmickery.
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Guru

I can't wait to try a 51/49 rye/barley - that strikes me as a "gateway American whiskey" for Scotch fanatics
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru

That one in particular sounds very interesting indeed.

Enthusiast

6-8 years seems like a long time to wait. I hope they have some space available on a 6th floor somewhere!

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Phil T View Post

Either way, indeed intriguing.
    That's been asked and answered. They do not have any plans to create and market their own brands. They intend to be a contract distiller and bulk whiskey producer, selling to the highest bidder.

Enthusiast

New Mash Bills from LDI/MGP

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    That's been asked and answered. They do not have any plans to create and market their own brands. They intend to be a contract distiller and bulk whiskey producer, selling to the highest bidder.
    I agree that it begs the question to be asked AGAIN. It certainly wasn't asked and answered in this thread. No wonder I left this forum for so long. The amount of holier than thou here is worse than any other forum I frequent.

Disciple

New Mash Bills from LDI/MGP

Recent posts in the Four Roses Ten Recipes thread have me wondering about this esoteric question: is there an MGPI equivalent to the Four Roses OxSx recipe naming system? Certainly they had one during the Seagram's days, just curious if it's still in use. Kinda related question that's probably more interesting is whether MGPI is using a variety of yeasts.
    Jim