Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: New Mash Bills from LDI/MGP

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    Chuck,
    Doesn't BT also make a corn whiskey (for their blends)?
    They might, but they never talk about it when they talk about their five recipes.

Quote Originally Posted by tmckenzie View Post
    Malted rye is not that big a difference in price than barley malt last load I got. 2 cents a pound higher. If you get it from the right folks.
    Speaking of which, I just learned that Four Roses is exclusively using Danish and German rye to get the robust flavor they want. Canadian rye ain't good enough for them.

My dad was an engineer for a big manufacturer, Tom. Figuring our a way to take 2 cents out of the product cost was a good day for him. You luxury producers have it easy.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I compare them to Buffalo Trace, a distillery of similar size and vintage. Buffalo Trace has a lot more experience with straight whiskey. What is now MGP of Indiana has mostly made ingredient whiskeys for blends, not straights that have to stand on their own. Of the four whiskey recipes MGP is making now, only one is a bona fide winner. Buffalo Trace, by contrast, limits itself to four whiskey recipes; two rye-recipe bourbons, one wheat-recipe bourbon, and one rye, and is the master of them all. Can MGP be the master of 10, 12, or more different recipes? At best, it'll probably take some time.

They might, but they never talk about it when they talk about their five recipes.
    Is it 4 or 5 primary recipes for BT? I count five recipes, two rye bourbons, one wheat bourbon and two rye (Sazerac/THH rye and the CEHT Rye recipes). Presuming the CEHT rye will indeed be ongoing and be considered a primary mash bill I suppose.
    Last edited by tanstaafl2; 04-04-2013 at 15:28.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Tom you do your own mashing, can you speak to the difference in these rye grains?

Is the CEHT rye supposed to be ongoing? I thought it was a one-off.

Anyway, the 'traditional' five BT recipes are the two rye-recipe bourbons, wheat recipe bourbon, rye, and vodka (Rain).

Disciple

I was under the impression that the SmB,SB,BP and Rye will all be annual releases from here on out am I wrong on this one?
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Guru

Is the CEHT rye supposed to be ongoing? I thought it was a one-off.

Anyway, the 'traditional' five BT recipes are the two rye-recipe bourbons, wheat recipe bourbon, rye, and vodka (Rain).
    The way the CEHT rye seems to be selling, or rather not selling (still see it pretty frequently on the shelf in Atlanta) it may well be a one-off unless they lower the price to something like the SmB $40ish range.

I liked it but at $70 I am not likely to buy more anytime soon. $40ish and I might consider it.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

I think only one of the Taylors is supposed to be ongoing, as in an annual release. I don't recall which one it is but it's one of the bourbons, not the rye. I think the rye was a one-off. I'm not going back and consulting my notes, just answering from memory, so I might be wrong.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Tom you do your own mashing, can you speak to the difference in these rye grains?
    there is more variation in the flavor and yeild of rye grain than any other grain I have ever dealt with. frankly the stuff is a pain in the rear.