Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Enthusiast

Hello from Seattle

A forum lurker for a year, a forum poster for 3~ish months, not quite new, but I never posted here.

Thought I'd shout out to PacNW people and let you know there's one more of us.

While I don't feel I've missed out (much) on enjoyment of bourbon and whisky with product availability in the Seattle market, I do feel that we are challenged to access of limited production stuff due to geography. The nearest major metropolitan area (Portland) is 175 miles away, and is also the closest state border. Once you've seen four liquor stores (Total, BevMo, Wine World, Clearview Spirits), you've exhausted every possible avenue for limited production spirits. And only one of these stores actually stocks limited production bottles for the public. The rest maintain an unofficial policy to hide the limited stuff in the back and distribute to "friends and family", of which I have tried (unsuccessfully) to be included in ever since Washington State got out of the liquor business in June 2012.

I imagine that others, especially on the east coast, benefit from a higher population density and closer state lines for exploration and discovery. Even in state controlled systems, I imagine the distribution channels are larger and demand more product, thus increasing the chances of a "find".

Favorites:
    Weller 12
    RHF
    OF BB series (3 different years, all great in different ways)
    WLW (only been able to try once at a bar, but the memory has lasted)
    PVW15 (again only at a bar, but this was so good I spent an hour drinking 2oz in hopes that it would never run out, then smelled the empty glass for 30 minutes after)

Still trying to understand/appreciate:
    4R anything
    OGD (can only get the BiB here though, no 114)

Guru

Re: Hello from Seattle

Welcome aboard DBM.

Guru

Hello from Seattle

Welcome DBM - always good to see another Seattle whiskyphile here.

I hear you on the lack if selection but hopefully things will get better over time. Meanwhile, I am glad we have access to online merchants to supplement our needs.
    Last edited by ChainWhip; 04-03-2013 at 15:35.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

BTW-

Sent you a PM.

-J
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    BTW-

Sent you a PM.

-J
    Yes, yes you did. Thank you again for sharing the wealth! I will always do the same when I get the opportunity.

One of the reasons I love whisky is because it's a wonderful sensory experience that gets even better with good conversation and company. In the past 3-4 months, I've given away about 6 bottles of Weller 12 and ETL to friends in an attempt to bring them into the bourbon fold (most are scotch or whisky & coke drinkers).