Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Disciple

Guilty Pleasure: the cork

Quote Originally Posted by Danger View Post
    Ok, I guess I'm the only one who likes corks enough to swap out the screwtops. I see all the points being made by the anti-cork movement and they all seem very practical. But where's the romance? Maybe what I really like about the corks is that it gives the bourbon some identity and individuality: you unscrew a coca-cola or a jar of pickles, but you uncork a fine spirit. I might be okay with another sealing method as long as it was unique to good alcohol.
    The romance is inside the bottle. All I can say is wait until you're straining cork bits out of some nice whiskey and see what you think of corks then.

Also, glad to hear that KC has gone to a screw top. The one I have open now is corked. One more step in the right direction.
    Jim

Guru

Re: Guilty Pleasure: the cork

For me the romance begins after pullling the cork.

Taster

The artistic component of drinking good bourbon doesn't start with putting it in your mouth and end with swallowing, imo. Its just like paintings. Everyone appreciates paintings more when they're hanging in a museum. All the things that surround the bourbon impact how you perceive the experience. For example, I enjoy it more with a cork, with a snifter or rocks glass than from a solo cup, while relaxing at night and browsing the forums rather than as I'm heading out the door to dinner.

There was an interesting anecdotal social experiment in 2007 where a world-class concert violinist plays in a European metro station incognito as a normal street performer. Basically nobody stops to listen because they aren't in the right state of mind to appreciate it.
    Joshua Bell plays in L'Enfant Plaza Station

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Danger View Post
    The artistic component of drinking good bourbon doesn't start with putting it in your mouth and end with swallowing, imo. Its just like paintings. Everyone appreciates paintings more when they're hanging in a museum. All the things that surround the bourbon impact how you perceive the experience. For example, I enjoy it more with a cork, with a snifter or rocks glass than from a solo cup, while relaxing at night and browsing the forums rather than as I'm heading out the door to dinner.

There was an interesting anecdotal social experiment in 2007 where a world-class concert violinist plays in a European metro station incognito as a normal street performer. Basically nobody stops to listen because they aren't in the right state of mind to appreciate it.
    Joshua Bell plays in L'Enfant Plaza Station
    Absolutely true. We all try to play Bourbon-Puritan-iconoclast around here and pretend like the experience starts and stops with flavor, but aesthetics, romance, narrative, etc. clearly play am integral role. The medium is the message.

*At the same time though, one really should strive to deliberately notice and adjust for the effects of these ancillary factors. Even if looks matter almost as much as quality, quality should be (almost) everything. So we should try to minimize the influence of looks - in so far as this is possible. Blind tastings go a long way here.
    Last edited by CoMobourbon; 04-07-2013 at 10:01.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut

Guru

I get this image of a bunch of darkly clad Puritans sitting around a table, no one's laughing or joking, just somberly getting sloshed while mentioning only flavor.

Connoisseur

So, you've been spying on us, eh?

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I get this image of a bunch of darkly clad Puritans sitting around a table, no one's laughing or joking, just somberly getting sloshed while mentioning only flavor.
    This is what I thought I was getting into at the gazebo in a couple weeks. But remember, we are also iconoclasts; there may be a pile of broken fancy glass.

But seriously - I think presentation is important. For example here are two bottles of Tequila:

Both are nicely done. Espolón is a cork; Siete Leguas (the higher end bottle, by the way) is a screwtop. A wood screwtop like this would fit many bottles well - FRSB, WTKS, etc... Similarly, compare a bottle of screwtop Maker's Mark (open or unopened) to a cork-sealed waxed bottle like EWSB. Again, both very nicely presented. I have no argument with artistry in packaging. My argument is with packaging that is inferior.
    Last edited by HighInTheMtns; 04-07-2013 at 16:48.
    Jim

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    Again, both very nicely presented. I have no argument with artistry in packaging. My argument is with packaging that is inferior.

I completely understand (and even agree with) your point: we need not make a dichotomy between aesthetics and utility because it is completely possible to accomplish both simultaneously. But I still sympathize with Danger's original point - the sound of that popping cork is irreplaceable.

In short, artistry one thing and (pseudo) history/narrative is another (even if they do overlap from time to time). The Siete Legueas looks great - but much of its old-fashioned historo-logical authentic-ness appeal disappears as soon as you twist away that cap see find no cork / hear no pop. The fakeness of pseudo-old-fashioned bottle comes through the surface in a way that does not happen with the equally fake Espolon bottle. The cork covers the seem / fills that gap in the surface of the narrative.

Again, I really do agree with your core points: artistry is nice, utility is most important, accomplish both simultaneously when possible, etc. But, for what it's worth, the pop of the cork is irreplaceable. To me, it's just not at all worth it (in terms of price and in terms of risk for ruined whiskey).
    Last edited by CoMobourbon; 04-07-2013 at 17:54.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut

Connoisseur

I do occasionally replace a screw-top with a cork. "Ptoonk!" Not the only one!

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Kalessin View Post
    I do occasionally replace a screw-top with a cork. "Ptoonk!" Not the only one!
    Heeeeyo!!

Quote Originally Posted by CoMobourbon View Post
    Absolutely true. We all try to play Bourbon-Puritan-iconoclast around here and pretend like the experience starts and stops with flavor, but aesthetics, romance, narrative, etc. clearly play am integral role. The medium is the message.
    Amen, bro.