Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Guilty Pleasure: the cork

Quote Originally Posted by MauiSon View Post
    I can't understand cork-preference. They leak, they rot, they break. What's more, most corked bottles dribble. I'll grant they squeak and pop, but 'silence is golden'. I never want to hear,'You're having another?'
    Haha. We've all been there.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Danger View Post
    I love my nightcaps and look forward to them. The squeaking sound of the cork squeezing out of the bottle and the eminently satisfying pop makes me smile. So, when I kill a bottle I save the cork in an old cloth Blanton's bag and when I buy a new bottle that has a screw top I throw away calloused plastic lid and plug it with a suitably sized cork from the stockpile so I can reproduce the miniature squeaking symphony each night. Am I the only one who does this?
    Aha! So that's what Blanton's bags are good for. And, of course, the Blanton's corks are to be displayed on a barrel stave. Now, what to do with those lovely bottles? Decanters for Early Times perhaps?
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Disciple

Guilty Pleasure: the cork

Quote Originally Posted by TheNovaMan View Post
    I knew you'd come in here and bash corks.
    Can't resist a good opportunity to bash corks.
    Jim

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    I hate corks. They're an antiquated, inferior method of sealing a bottle. They fall apart sometimes. They leave little cork bits on the lip of the bottle sometimes. They dissolve when foolish liquor store owners (or dudes with really old bottles of rye) store bottles on their sides. They dry up and stop sealing well. I save my old corks too, so that I can replace them when I get a faulty one.

Screw tops are the best...
    Agree 100% with this.

Connoisseur

I save the corks from whiskey bottles to use as stoppers for open wine bottles. A wine cork can be hard to re-use after the corkscrew. It's also nice to have an inventory of stoppers in case one comes apart like some Rare Breed stoppers have. I think some brands use the cork to symbolize that they are marketing something as a more high end brand.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    I hate corks. They're an antiquated, inferior method of sealing a bottle... Screw tops are the best, but I can understand the romance in pulling a cork and so I propose that synthetic corks are a very good compromise.
    I accept your compromise, as long as it squeaks. My bottle of Temperance Trader came with a synthetic cork and I quite liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by MauiSon View Post
    I can't understand cork-preference. They leak, they rot, they break. What's more, most corked bottles dribble. I'll grant they squeak and pop, but 'silence is golden'. I never want to hear,'You're having another?'
    That's like saying, "I don't get wall art, its so much more expensive than wallpaper and doesn't even cover the same amount of space." The cork is for the aesthetics, not the functionality. And I think the solution to being stealthy is to start with a double

Novice

I save my old corks too. But I just keep them to replace corks that give me problems. Some are prone to breaking.

I also have a bag of corks and do like corks best. I know they get old and fall apart but there is just nothing better than opening a new bottle and hearing thump. Screw tops do leak as well I had a bottle of Wellers SR I put in my luggage and it leaked all over the place.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Guru

I too have had screwcaps leak, so just give me the good ole squeak and thump.

Connoisseur

"What weasel stole the cork from my lunch?"
    -- W.C. Fields

Sure, cork is impractical. I don't care, I prefer them. I haven't had a cork failure or leakage on any of my whiskey bottles that are younger than about 30 years old (the bottle, not the whiskey...)