Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: How long does it take to make good bourbon?

we have been good with 10's, but the whiskey has to be made to suit them Most micros distill to much flavor out. That being said, we are putting 99 percent of what we make in 53's.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    ... small barrel apologists ...
    I think that is a great new phrase.

Guru

Yeah, since when did mine is smaller mean a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNovaMan View Post
    Round Barn, down in Baroda, MI, has a bourbon they call Divine, and the most recent release was three years old. I haven't had any of that. The upcoming release will be six years old, and I want to try some.

Go here if you want little or no info: http://www.roundbarnwinery.com/distillery.php
    The current MI liquor list has it as 90 proof, and 200mL is $5.58

Edit: the mashbill is 70% corn for sure, and I think 15% rye and 15% malted barley.
    The 6 year sounds like it could be interesting.

It is an interesting dilemma, you all basically said what I figured though. You have something that takes time, usually a lot of time, to make and they don't usually have the money and definitely not the time to have stuff sitting in barrels for years. A lot of them don't start with whisky though either. Vodka seems the be the thing, and we have some good vodkas here I hear. I guess I just thought maybe they start with something like vodka, then drop the whisky/bourbon let it age and release it later. Still that's probably a fair bit of juice and money to sit on for that long.

I've just heard of a few, Traverse city I've heard people say is good. Grand Traverse is making one now and Valentine is also making one now too, but its just in the tasting room right now. Seems like stuff you may want to try at the tasting room or get a pour of but probably not spend the money on a whole bottle.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothAmbler View Post
    I will tell you that we started in small barrels but haven't put away one in over a year. I prefer the taste of 53 gallon barrels. I do believe there are a few guys that do small barrel aging very well.
    That's exactly where I have arrived on this subject.

Most of all, though, my complaint is not so much with what people do as it is with what they say about it. Small barrels don't really speed up anything. They age whiskey differently. Describe those differences honestly and you'll have no quarrel with me.

Enthusiast

Does anyone have the measurements of these small barrels? If they're just scaled-down versions of 53 gallon barrels, the surface area to volume ratio will be the same.
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Does anyone have the measurements of these small barrels? If they're just scaled-down versions of 53 gallon barrels, the surface area to volume ratio will be the same.
    They're just scaled-down versions of 53-gallon barrels.

Please don't disturb the small barrel people by giving them facts.

Enthusiast

I literally laughed out loud at that!!!
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Advanced Taster

Hmmm. I'm not sure, but I don't think so. Middle school math was a long time ago...but...I'm pretty sure that if area is length squared and volume is length cubed, (lets say we are dealing with cubes), than volume will decrease faster than surface area, making for a higher surface area : volume ratio.

*Example (let me try this):

If you have Barrel A, 64 cubic foot oak cube full of whiskey, say, then you have a cube of 4ft x 4ft x 4ft, right? The surface area of Barrel A is 96 square feet (4x4x6); the surface area to volume ratio is 3:2.

Then, let's say Barrel B is an 8 cubic feet of whiskey in a 2ft x 2ft x 2ft oak cube. The surface area of Barrel B is 24 square feet (2x2x6), so the surface area to volume ratio is 3:1.

SA : V of Barrel A (64 cubic feet) is 3:2, whereas SA : V of Barrel B (8 cubic feet) is 3:1. Right?
    I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
    ― Kurt Vonnegut

Enthusiast

Well I'll be hornswaggled, you're right. The surface area goes by the square, and the volume goes by the cube, so the larger container of the same shape will always have less surface area per volume. I was somewhat hesitant to post my SA/V post, and I should have run more calculations.
    Pete

I hate scotch.