Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

OWA 7 year Questions

I have access to three bottles of OWA with the 7 year age statement from the Frankfort distillery at a local store for $22 each. I have a couple questions. When did the age statement come off? What is a good price for this bourbon? How does the newer NAS OWA compare?
    Last edited by Grain Belt; 05-30-2013 at 08:18.

Guru

Re: OWA 7 year Questions

The age statement was removed because the producers wanted to use younger whisky in the blend. Actually that can produce a better flavor profile, depending on one's taste preferences.

Disciple

OWA 7 year Questions

Check on the date codes if you can. The older the better, although I'd buy 'em regardless. My opinion is that the first bottles of NAS were an improvement over the last bottles of 7 year; it would be interesting to compare a current bottle to see if that still holds. I believe the change happened in 2009.
    Jim

Virtuoso

I think you're right, Jim, that the age statement dropped in '09. I buy all of the paper label Wellers I can find, but that's mostly because I love the old label. I've had some OWA 7yr that was indistinguishable from current bottles and some that was a different beast entirely. My suggestion is to buy it and give it a try. If you don't like it, I'll be happy to take it off your hands.
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Enthusiast

I have to agree that in my limited experience the newer NAS have been better.

I have a bottle open now that's delicious; a 7-year old I found back home in Indiana had that uncomfortably woody burnt-rope character I've found in some BT products (is this the signature flavor in Eagle Rare btw?)

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    The age statement was removed because the producers wanted to use younger whisky in the blend. Actually that can produce a better flavor profile, depending on one's taste preferences.
    Essentially what everyone here has stated is correct but in the end its a personal preference thing. The biggest attraction to the older bottlings is that you cant really get them any more.

I want to add to Squire's comment though. I would say that the distiller simply wanted the "option" to use the younger whiskeys. After all, theres a bourbon shortage you know.
    "You can't claim to have been drinkin all day if you don't start first thing in the mornin."

Connoisseur

If I found 7 year old OWAs for $22, I would buy them. I don't necessarily think it would be better than the current version. I'm lucky to have a store about half an hour away that picks some good single barrels.

Thanks for the insight gentleman. I think I will pick them up. Surely I have spent $66 bucks in worse ways.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Grain Belt View Post
    Thanks for the insight gentleman. I think I will pick them up. Surely I have spent $66 bucks in worse ways.
    Good idea. Let us know what you think!
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

I passed up a few OWA 7yr a couple of years ago. I regret it every time i see the NAS version. YMMV