Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Nick names for bourbons

Recently I heard some one refer to drinking "kickin' chicken" when he was talking about Wild Turkey.

What are some other nick names you have heard?
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Re: Nick names for bourbons

Quote Originally Posted by Alden View Post
    Recently I heard some one refer to drinking "kickin' chicken" when he was talking about Wild Turkey.

What are some other nick names you have heard?
    You'd never heard that before? Thats the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

Virtuoso

Could be Fighting Cock as well. (although probably WT)
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by loki993 View Post
    You'd never heard that before? Thats the only one I can think of off the top of my head.
    No, I never have.

There must be some others.
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Virtuoso

Virginia Gentleman is sometimes called "The Fox" because of the picture on the bottle.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Connoisseur

I've also heard WT referred to as bird, or the bird. A lot of stuff is also known by initials.

Connoisseur

When I was a teenager it seemed like there were only two American whiskeys available, Jack Daniels or Early Times.

We used to call JD "Black Jack Shellac".

Our neighbor across the street was always tipsy on Canadian Club or Seagram's 7. He just called it "I'll have another one."

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

"Black Jack," for Old No. 7 brand, is a nickname. So is just calling Jim Beam, "Jim," though it's not particularly clever. I've heard Southern Comfort called "The Old Leg-Spreader." Van Winkle Special Reserve is generally known in these parts as "Lot B." We use initials here constantly, but even the general public calls Canadian Club "CC." Most of the common nicknames are just shortenings, like "Crown" for Crown Royal, or "Knob" for Knob Creek. I can't think of anything else really comparable to "Kickin' Chicken." Maybe "Old Overcoat" for Old Overholt Rye is similar.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    "Black Jack," for Old No. 7 brand, is a nickname. So is just calling Jim Beam, "Jim," though it's not particularly clever. I've heard Southern Comfort called "The Old Leg-Spreader." Van Winkle Special Reserve is generally known in these parts as "Lot B." We use initials here constantly, but even the general public calls Canadian Club "CC." Most of the common nicknames are just shortenings, like "Crown" for Crown Royal, or "Knob" for Knob Creek. I can't think of anything else really comparable to "Kickin' Chicken." Maybe "Old Overcoat" for Old Overholt Rye is similar.
    That it is!

Connoisseur

I've heard of Old Grand Dad called "The Dad." Maker's Mark often seems to be referred to simply as "Maker's" as well.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.