Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Nick names for bourbons

In college we drank a lot of Wild Turkey...we always called it "Gobble Gobble".

How 'bout "Old Croak" referring to Old Crow?
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Advanced Taster

My family has always called old grandad "OGD"
    witch also stands for "oh god damn!" Witch makes sense lol
    "Always carry a large flagon of whisky in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
    W.C. Fields (1880-1946)

Connoisseur

for some reason, my daddy, who I wish I had a nickel for every half a gallon of ten high he drank, would call all bourbon, devil juice. Imagine me a 5 year old kid, going to the devil juice store with him. Stay in the truck he said. I imagined all sorts of things going on in that store. But he also drank it with coke and stirred it with the handle of a hair brush. So I should not have expected better.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tmckenzie View Post
    for some reason, my daddy, who I wish I had a nickel for every half a gallon of ten high he drank, would call all bourbon, devil juice. Imagine me a 5 year old kid, going to the devil juice store with him. Stay in the truck he said. I imagined all sorts of things going on in that store. But he also drank it with coke and stirred it with the handle of a hair brush. So I should not have expected better.
    That is interesting.

He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Connoisseur

My father's family was pure John Knox/Calvinist/ TeeTotallers. He never drank, yet was irritable enough most of the time that if he had been a drinker, I expect both my mother and myself would have grown accustomed to regular beatings.

He was a WWII veteran. He wasn't a physically violent man, but he had the "potential", if you know what I mean.

I sometimes wonder how he would have ended up if he had been a drinker, like most of the dads in the neighborhood were. He died from series of heart attacks when he was 42. Maybe a little alcohol would have been good for him.
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Guru

I've heard a fair number of descriptive terms, Panther Juice, Who Hit John, Bottled Courage, that sort of thing . . . phrases which may in fact say more about the speaker than the product.

Guru

Red Gag for Red Stag is a popular one around here. Baby Saz for the standard Sazerac Rye. Some dusties have nicknames too. BUB or Butt Ugly Bottle is the nickname for the old bottles of Elmer T. Lee.

ETL BUB.jpg

And let's not forget Cheesy Gold Foil/Label, Wild Turkey 12 y/o and Cheesy Gold Chain Rock Hill Farms. And Split Label for the Wild Turkey 12 with a two-piece label.
    Last edited by Josh; 04-07-2013 at 12:38.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Red Gag for Red Stag is a popular one around here.
    Is it popular or does it have good shelf presence and it just looks like it is popular?
    ovh

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    Is it popular or does it have good shelf presence and it just looks like it is popular?
    I meant the nickname is popular. I can't speak to how well the stuff is selling.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog