Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Cheap (free) flasks

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    I picked up a bunch of 200ml bottles of HH bonds in Kentucky and I use those for travelers instead of flasks. Easier to replace and no chance of succumbing to poor manufacturing QC.
    Yes, that is what I would suggest too. I have also re-used maple syrup bottles. They make an excellent flask.

Guru

The 200 mil bottles work fine for me.

I have several stainless steel flasks. Among them, ones from Rebel Yell and Evan Williams. I used to use them a lot with no problems at all. I never kept alcohol in them for long periods of time, and I cleaned them regularly. I've gotten away from using flasks though. I now use 2 and 4 oz sample bottles, and empty 200 ml and 375 ml bottles.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Connoisseur

I have a cheapie Dewars flask that is my regular carry. No issues so far. I've had it several years.
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    The 200 mil bottles work fine for me.
    I'm gonna echo this. After a few fills with my freebie, I just prefer using a WT101 200ml bottle. I'll send the flask on to someone who can use it.

Guru

Cheap (free) flasks

Reusing 200ml glass bottles is a good idea but doesn't work very well when bombing down a run on my mountain bike (from a safety perspective).

On another note, I saw this a few weeks ago where this person made whisky packets from plastic bags/vacuum sealer:

http://imgur.com/a/eU8uv
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    I got a free flask from a recent Bourbon event and I filled it with some OGD114 for my trip. I cleaned it out with hot water and I noticed the "Made in China" sticker but thought it'd be ok... Well, I just poured some and the bourbon's turned almost green w/ grey colloidal swirls :-(

Do you guys use these el cheapo flasks? If so, do you ever check for whisky discoloration?

(Good thing my other "Made in Japan"/Titanium flask has been rock solid - always have a backup)
    What you experienced was the organic elements of the whiskey interacting with iron. You shouldn't have that problem with true stainless steal, but just a little bit of iron can really mess up a batch of whiskey. I have "heard" stories of entire batches of whiskey being ruined when stored in the improper type of steel drum. I have also heard some of people running into problems from bad welds / wrong metal used in parts of the actual still. Distilleries won't use nails on barrels, because if they contact the whiskey, you could end up with a entire barrel of green/black/grey whiskey.

But, the good news, it is totally safe to drink.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    What you experienced was the organic elements of the whiskey interacting with iron. You shouldn't have that problem with true stainless steal, but just a little bit of iron can really mess up a batch of whiskey. I have "heard" stories of entire batches of whiskey being ruined when stored in the improper type of steel drum. I have also heard some of people running into problems from bad welds / wrong metal used in parts of the actual still. Distilleries won't use nails on barrels, because if they contact the whiskey, you could end up with a entire barrel of green/black/grey whiskey.

But, the good news, it is totally safe to drink.
    Toss those China flasks out, they very well could have delicious lead welds. No foolin!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Reusing 200ml glass bottles is a good idea but doesn't work very well when bombing down a run on my mountain bike (from a safety perspective).

On another note, I saw this a few weeks ago where this person made whisky packets from plastic bags/vacuum sealer:

http://imgur.com/a/eU8uv
    Pretty clever. I've never used the seal-a-meal i got awhile back. Gonna give this a try. I even have a jacket with a hidden money pocket....
    Last edited by Enoch; 03-17-2014 at 07:16.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by BigRich View Post
    I have a cheapie Dewars flask that is my regular carry. No issues so far. I've had it several years.
    Funny play on words. I use a dewer flask to transport liquid nitrogen on occassion.