Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Apprentice

Book Recommendation

I'm interested in buying a book or two that deal with or can be applied to dusty hunting. I did several searches and came across a few bourbon history books that look really interesting, but none directly relating to the subject. I've found several online blogs which feature dusty related topics but so far, no books. Any recommendations?

Trippah and Admin

Re: Book Recommendation

This site is a better hunting reference than any book could ever be.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Apprentice

I agree but a book(s) would still be an interesting read.

I think Scott is telling you true the last whiskey book I bought was full of so much shit it wasn't funny.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Enthusiast

Bryan, I think that you'll find that "dusty hunting" isn't a the sort of pastime anyone's really going to write a book about Those who engage in it have a vested interest in keeping the number of competitors down and the pricing low on old bottles -- vintage wine pricing is a good example of price increases on old bottles.

The internet is a great source of information on old bottles, old labels, and old advertising, put your search-engine skills to work!

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

As others have said, there's no difinitive book on the topic. I have about 30 bourbon books in my library, and most touch on historic bottlings in some way, but not in the way you are after.. I think you'll find you would have to pull the information from multiple sources - books, internet, videos etc and put your own fact sheet together.

Guru

Bryan, the subject matter doesn't lend itself to book form because there are no set rules or tactics that will work everywhere.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Bryan, the subject matter doesn't lend itself to book form because there are no set rules or tactics that will work everywhere.
    You just need a good bird dog. A few years back my son (aged 5 then) sniffed out a dozen 375ml bottles of ER10/101 because he "liked the bird on the label." Forget the book, you need kids!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    I think Scott is telling you true the last whiskey book I bought was full of so much shit it wasn't funny.
    No Chuck I wasn't talking about your book it was "World Whiskey" by Charles Maclean. Your books are informative and well written but not going to help someone out with dusty hunting.
    Last edited by p_elliott; 04-10-2013 at 08:58.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Kalessin View Post
    Bryan, I think that you'll find that "dusty hunting" isn't a the sort of pastime anyone's really going to write a book about Those who engage in it have a vested interest in keeping the number of competitors down and the pricing low on old bottles -- vintage wine pricing is a good example of price increases on old bottles.

The internet is a great source of information on old bottles, old labels, and old advertising, put your search-engine skills to work!
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm definitely doing the above regarding the internet and also trying to make my own cheat sheets.

When I get interested in something, I tend to get a bit obsessive and figured a book would be another great resource to delve into. I guess I will have to keep being creative, which makes the whole process even more interesting and fun.

Thanks again.