Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Taster

swinging on spur of the moment

Have you ever bought a bottle of whiskey on the spur of the moment just because of the interesting packaging or backstory? I have to admit I bought a bottle of Johnny Walker Swing the other day after watching one of Ralfy's vlogs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Sc4dqlbRik ).

My impression: ok, but not worth $55. The bottle does wobble without falling over, as advertised.
    http://whiskeylist.blogspot.com/ downloadable spreadsheet of over 2000 North American Whiskies

Guru

Re: swinging on spur of the moment

Oh sure I can be induced, I've seen me do it.

Connoisseur

Happens to me all the time.

That Swing is a pretty neat gimmick.
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Guru

The idea originated in the days of wooden sailing vessels when the rounded base of the bottle would sway while the ship rolled in the waves.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    The idea originated in the days of wooden sailing vessels when the rounded base of the bottle would sway while the ship rolled in the waves.
    That makes sense. Another interesting factoid about alcohol in the age of sail is that sailors favored a kind of heavy sherry wine called Madeira (made on the island of Madeira) for long voyages because it did not spoil from the heat aboard ship. Apparently it got quite hot on these ships, even down in the hold.

Madeira was favored by the military, in fact, it was so popular that George Washington had it served at his inauguration ball.
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Guru

Yes and I have no doubt some of those early Johnny Walker whiskys were aged in Madeira casks.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Alden View Post
    That makes sense. Another interesting factoid about alcohol in the age of sail is that sailors favored a kind of heavy sherry wine called Madeira (made on the island of Madeira) for long voyages because it did not spoil from the heat aboard ship. Apparently it got quite hot on these ships, even down in the hold.
    I have a bottle of Swing I inherited so to speak that was purchased at Hong Kong Duty Free probably 25-30 years ago and never opened. I haven't opened it either but display it because I like the bottle as well. Given it is a blend I have no idea if the whisky would be any different from the Swing whisky of today. Probably not unless there has been a deliberate change in its formula.

I think Madeira is perhaps more of a type of fortified wine, just as Sherry is a type of fortified wine but Madeira is not a type of Sherry, if for no other reason than geography.

But Madeira made today is also deliberately heated and oxidized as part of its production to simulate what resulted from those long sea voyages. Sherry is not typically heated to my knowledge as part of its production except perhaps the Lustau East India Solera style which is deliberately aged in warehouses with wide temperature variations to again mimic the long voyages of the past to the East Indies.
    Last edited by tanstaafl2; 04-07-2013 at 09:49.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Should still be somewhat similar, the Swing brand was introduced around 1932 when Alexander Walker ll was yet with the company and the core whiskys, or something very like them, remain available today.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    I have a bottle of Swing I inherited so to speak that was purchased at Hong Kong Duty Free probably 25-30 years ago and never opened. I haven't opened it either but display it because I like the bottle as well. Given it is a blend I have no idea if the whisky would be any different from the Swing whisky of today. Probably not unless there has been a deliberate change in its formula.

I think Madeira is perhaps more of a type of fortified wine, just as Sherry is a type of fortified wine but Madeira is not a type of Sherry, if for no other reason than geography.

But Madeira made today is also deliberately heated and oxidized as part of its production to simulate what resulted from those long sea voyages. Sherry is not typically heated to my knowledge as part of its production except perhaps the Lustau East India Solera style which is deliberately aged in warehouses with wide temperature variations to again mimic the long voyages of the past to the East Indies.
    If you have never had a Madeira, and if you like fortified wines, you are missing out on a fantastic wine. It has more body and complexity than sherry, but with a sherry base. It's hard to find here. Most of the good stuff stays in Europe.

Guru

Any fan of fortified wines owes it to themself to try a Maderia.