Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Taster
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Knoxville TN
    Posts
    70

    swinging on spur of the moment

    Have you ever bought a bottle of whiskey on the spur of the moment just because of the interesting packaging or backstory? I have to admit I bought a bottle of Johnny Walker Swing the other day after watching one of Ralfy's vlogs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Sc4dqlbRik ).

    My impression: ok, but not worth $55. The bottle does wobble without falling over, as advertised.
    http://whiskeylist.blogspot.com/ downloadable spreadsheet of over 2000 North American Whiskies

  2. #2
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    11,732

    Re: swinging on spur of the moment

    Oh sure I can be induced, I've seen me do it.

  3. #3
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    562

    Re: swinging on spur of the moment

    Happens to me all the time.

    That Swing is a pretty neat gimmick.
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

  4. #4
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    11,732

    Re: swinging on spur of the moment

    The idea originated in the days of wooden sailing vessels when the rounded base of the bottle would sway while the ship rolled in the waves.

  5. #5
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    562

    Re: swinging on spur of the moment

    Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    The idea originated in the days of wooden sailing vessels when the rounded base of the bottle would sway while the ship rolled in the waves.
    That makes sense. Another interesting factoid about alcohol in the age of sail is that sailors favored a kind of heavy sherry wine called Madeira (made on the island of Madeira) for long voyages because it did not spoil from the heat aboard ship. Apparently it got quite hot on these ships, even down in the hold.

    Madeira was favored by the military, in fact, it was so popular that George Washington had it served at his inauguration ball.
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

  6. #6
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    11,732

    Re: swinging on spur of the moment

    Yes and I have no doubt some of those early Johnny Walker whiskys were aged in Madeira casks.

  7. #7
    Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,495

    Re: swinging on spur of the moment

    Quote Originally Posted by Alden View Post
    That makes sense. Another interesting factoid about alcohol in the age of sail is that sailors favored a kind of heavy sherry wine called Madeira (made on the island of Madeira) for long voyages because it did not spoil from the heat aboard ship. Apparently it got quite hot on these ships, even down in the hold.
    I have a bottle of Swing I inherited so to speak that was purchased at Hong Kong Duty Free probably 25-30 years ago and never opened. I haven't opened it either but display it because I like the bottle as well. Given it is a blend I have no idea if the whisky would be any different from the Swing whisky of today. Probably not unless there has been a deliberate change in its formula.

    I think Madeira is perhaps more of a type of fortified wine, just as Sherry is a type of fortified wine but Madeira is not a type of Sherry, if for no other reason than geography.

    But Madeira made today is also deliberately heated and oxidized as part of its production to simulate what resulted from those long sea voyages. Sherry is not typically heated to my knowledge as part of its production except perhaps the Lustau East India Solera style which is deliberately aged in warehouses with wide temperature variations to again mimic the long voyages of the past to the East Indies.
    Last edited by tanstaafl2; 04-07-2013 at 09:49.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

    Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

  8. #8
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    11,732

    Re: swinging on spur of the moment

    Should still be somewhat similar, the Swing brand was introduced around 1932 when Alexander Walker ll was yet with the company and the core whiskys, or something very like them, remain available today.

  9. #9
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    562

    Re: swinging on spur of the moment

    Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    I have a bottle of Swing I inherited so to speak that was purchased at Hong Kong Duty Free probably 25-30 years ago and never opened. I haven't opened it either but display it because I like the bottle as well. Given it is a blend I have no idea if the whisky would be any different from the Swing whisky of today. Probably not unless there has been a deliberate change in its formula.

    I think Madeira is perhaps more of a type of fortified wine, just as Sherry is a type of fortified wine but Madeira is not a type of Sherry, if for no other reason than geography.

    But Madeira made today is also deliberately heated and oxidized as part of its production to simulate what resulted from those long sea voyages. Sherry is not typically heated to my knowledge as part of its production except perhaps the Lustau East India Solera style which is deliberately aged in warehouses with wide temperature variations to again mimic the long voyages of the past to the East Indies.
    If you have never had a Madeira, and if you like fortified wines, you are missing out on a fantastic wine. It has more body and complexity than sherry, but with a sherry base. It's hard to find here. Most of the good stuff stays in Europe.
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

  10. #10
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    11,732

    Re: swinging on spur of the moment

    Any fan of fortified wines owes it to themself to try a Maderia.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Such a bittersweet moment
    By MarkEdwards in forum Foreign Whiskey
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-18-2011, 07:24
  2. What are you drinking this moment?!? (continued)
    By MurphyDawg in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 190
    Last Post: 04-01-2003, 13:29
  3. What are you drinking this moment?
    By CL in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 246
    Last Post: 01-28-2003, 15:31
  4. Just a beautiful moment
    By **DONOTDELETE** in forum Other American Whiskey
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-14-1999, 10:57

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top