Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Need Opinions - 2011 PVW 15 vs. 4RSmBLE2012

I hope I did all of those abbreviations correctly... Just to be clear, I am not soliciting a trade from anyone on this board. I have the opportunity to trade one of my 2011 PVW 15 year for the 2012 4 Roses LE Small Batch, which IMHO opinion is one of the best whiskeys that I have ever consumed. I'm down to about 1/4 of a bottle on my 4R and am trying to figure out how to replace it.

The guy that I would trade with is a known flipper who is going to try to sell my 15yr for $400 on craigslist, but I still would rather have another bottle of the 4R. I have a moral dilemma of not contributing further to the BS PVW craze/price gouging that is making this even more difficult. So like I said, I'm interested in opinions.

1. Should I do this deal or not.
    2. Is this really a straight up deal considering what I know he is going to try and flip it for?
    3. What else should I ask for in addition to the 4R? A lot B?

Thanks

Guru

Re: Need Opinions - 2011 PVW 15 vs. 4RSmBLE2012

Ummm, so the question is should you assist this fellow engage in the illegal sale of alcoholic goods . . . well . . .no.

Connoisseur

You should aim to accumulate whatever you will get the most pleasure from drinking. In this case, it sounds like 4R.

Taster

i am personally a believer in bourbon karma. so, from that standpoint, i probably would not deal with a known flipper who exploits what we hold dear, regardless of the legality involved. while i certainly relate to your situation in wishing you had more of a limited release product, i think that the bourbon gods will make it right with you one way or another.

Connoisseur

Put the squeeze on him, boss... Threaten to report him to the ATF, then get him to sell you the 4Roses at his cost. Easy bit of blackmail. These nefarious flipper sorts deserve no less. That way you get to keep your Pappy and back-up your dwindling 4RLESmB2012.

Seriously though, when you "gift" someone a bottle in exchange for your own "gift" of booze what happens afterwards is literally out of your hands. Said flipper could drop and shatter that bottle of Pappy on the way to the car. Are you going to feel bad about that, and try to make it right? Or are you going to engage in the above scheme? My guess is no on both counts. Best to concern yourself with your own stash and maintaining it to your satisfaction, as LostBottle noted.

Agreed. I can also say that from my private messages I was I definitely right to want to go for more than a straight up trade. I'm tempted to sell it at cost to the guy who owns the liquor store near me for first shot at a Van Winkle Rye this year. I literally have 1/8 of a bottle left and have no realistic shot at replacing it.

The flipper wants $150 for the 4R that he has, which I can't do even though I like the bottle that much. It's people like him that have removed my ability to walk into a liquor store and buy Lot B for $27. I remember 2 years ago when I turned down Lot B at $70 and 15yr at $85 and now you can't touch it for 2x that price. I like PVW as much as the next guy, but for $400 I'd buy a nice bottle of cognac or armangac and call it a day.

Connoisseur

Straight up trade plus half his net profit (with an $80 minimum guarantee). That's how I see it.

Advanced Taster

Run, don't walk, from this.
    Mark

Disciple

If you enjoy the FR more then the Pappy 15 then do it...why does it matter what your trading partner does with the bottle after it? You're going to drink it not sell it right?
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

Advanced Taster

The disparity between the responses so far is really interesting; they've ranged from 'do whatever the hell you want' to 'if you do this, you are going to hell'.

Personally, I'm not sure what I would do. This is basically a tragedy-of-the-commons moral dilemma (where the action is self-beneficial and isn't all that bad, but if everyone did it it would make the world a worse place). So, it's not choice between an immediately good or harmful option. I always know that I should act to resist the worsening of the environment (e.g. bourbon market), but I know that someone else will just do it anyway. Sometimes I do the futile noble selfless thing, and sometimes I don't.

*So you shouldn't do it, but I wouldn't judge you if you did. Hell, I might in your position.
    Last edited by CoMobourbon; 04-07-2013 at 18:47.
    I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
    ― Kurt Vonnegut