Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 63
  1. #41
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Suburbs of Houston, Texas
    Posts
    503

    Re: What Cocktail Are Enjoying Spring '13?

    Made my first Mint Julep for my wife this weekend. It was a big hit after I got the sweetness level down a bit.

  2. #42
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    903

    Re: What Cocktail Are Enjoying Spring '13?

    Nothing fancy, just Cynar and soda...it's getting a bit too warm for brown liquor. This time of year let's me recharge for the fall releases!

  3. #43
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    238

    Re: What Cocktail Are Enjoying Spring '13?

    Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    Nothing fancy, just Cynar and soda...it's getting a bit too warm for brown liquor. This time of year let's me recharge for the fall releases!
    I agree. Today I made a seasonal resolution to switch back to gin (and other light spirits), with a Last Word and Corpse Reviver #2 (I had only intended to make the CR2, but the two gin-based equal parts drinks got crossed in my head-cyclopedia).

    Trey, have you tried Cardamaro before? It's flavored with cardoon and blessed thistle, both in the same family as artichoke. I simply haven't gotten around to purchasing my bottle of Cynar yet but am wondering if the two are interchangeable or if it is more of a dry vermouth/quina relationship.

  4. #44
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    680

    Re: What Cocktail Are Enjoying Spring '13?

    Quote Originally Posted by Alphanumeric View Post
    I agree. Today I made a seasonal resolution to switch back to gin (and other light spirits), with a Last Word and Corpse Reviver #2 (I had only intended to make the CR2, but the two gin-based equal parts drinks got crossed in my head-cyclopedia).

    Trey, have you tried Cardamaro before? It's flavored with cardoon and blessed thistle, both in the same family as artichoke. I simply haven't gotten around to purchasing my bottle of Cynar yet but am wondering if the two are interchangeable or if it is more of a dry vermouth/quina relationship.
    Sorry to jump in here, but I think they are definitely different IMO, with Cynar a bit brasher and more bitter, while the Cardamaro is more delicate and sweet. The Cynar works better with soda and the Cardamaro is better for neat sipping, IMHO, but both are very versatile, though not exactly interchangeable. Get yourself some Cynar though, if you like the more bitter end of things.

  5. #45
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    903

    Re: What Cocktail Are Enjoying Spring '13?

    Yeah, I don't think they are interchangeable. I just tasted them side by side. Cardamaro is more syrupy and sweet, Cynar is dryer and more bitter. If I had to pick one it would be Cynar.

  6. #46
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    12,213

    Re: What Cocktail Are Enjoying Spring '13?

    More like a highball, Barton and Perrier over ice.

  7. #47
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky.
    Posts
    166

    Re: What Cocktail Are Enjoying Spring '13?

    Drinking a dark and stormy made of Ron Abuelo 12 year and Gosling's ginger beer. The frau likes them and I figured why not have one with supper.

  8. #48
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    238

    Re: What Cocktail Are Enjoying Spring '13?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wryguy View Post
    Sorry to jump in here, but I think they are definitely different IMO, with Cynar a bit brasher and more bitter, while the Cardamaro is more delicate and sweet. The Cynar works better with soda and the Cardamaro is better for neat sipping, IMHO, but both are very versatile, though not exactly interchangeable. Get yourself some Cynar though, if you like the more bitter end of things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    Yeah, I don't think they are interchangeable. I just tasted them side by side. Cardamaro is more syrupy and sweet, Cynar is dryer and more bitter. If I had to pick one it would be Cynar.
    Thanks for the feedback. I agree with your impressions of it. I had picked up the Cardamaro on a whim some months back based on an amaro thread on eGullet. I was surprised when I opened it because I was expecting something similar to what (I imagine) Cynar tastes like. It's too bad the two of them don't occupy apposite parts of the spectrum, since I can't find many Cardamaro recipes. Any favorites?

  9. #49
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    129

    Re: What Cocktail Are Enjoying Spring '13?

    A gunshop fizz. Great aperitif!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	172.5 KB 
ID:	15482

  10. #50
    Disciple
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Chicagoland, Illinois
    Posts
    1,619

    Re: What Cocktail Are Enjoying Spring '13?

    A damn good Sazerac at the Carousel bar in NOLA.
    Thad

    BTOTY-2011

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?
    By boss302 in forum Foreign Whiskey
    Replies: 2423
    Last Post: 04-24-2013, 22:10
  2. What Cocktail Are You Enjoying Winter 2013?
    By Alphanumeric in forum Cocktails
    Replies: 211
    Last Post: 04-07-2013, 21:36
  3. Replies: 110
    Last Post: 01-06-2013, 14:30
  4. What rye are you enjoying Spring 2012?
    By Jono in forum American Rye Whiskey
    Replies: 138
    Last Post: 06-25-2012, 06:58
  5. what bourbon are you enjoying spring 2012 ?
    By Phil T in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 748
    Last Post: 06-20-2012, 21:17

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top