Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What Cocktail Are Enjoying Spring '13?

Made my first Mint Julep for my wife this weekend. It was a big hit after I got the sweetness level down a bit.

Connoisseur

Nothing fancy, just Cynar and soda...it's getting a bit too warm for brown liquor. This time of year let's me recharge for the fall releases!

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    Nothing fancy, just Cynar and soda...it's getting a bit too warm for brown liquor. This time of year let's me recharge for the fall releases!
    I agree. Today I made a seasonal resolution to switch back to gin (and other light spirits), with a Last Word and Corpse Reviver #2 (I had only intended to make the CR2, but the two gin-based equal parts drinks got crossed in my head-cyclopedia).

Trey, have you tried Cardamaro before? It's flavored with cardoon and blessed thistle, both in the same family as artichoke. I simply haven't gotten around to purchasing my bottle of Cynar yet but am wondering if the two are interchangeable or if it is more of a dry vermouth/quina relationship.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Alphanumeric View Post
    I agree. Today I made a seasonal resolution to switch back to gin (and other light spirits), with a Last Word and Corpse Reviver #2 (I had only intended to make the CR2, but the two gin-based equal parts drinks got crossed in my head-cyclopedia).

Trey, have you tried Cardamaro before? It's flavored with cardoon and blessed thistle, both in the same family as artichoke. I simply haven't gotten around to purchasing my bottle of Cynar yet but am wondering if the two are interchangeable or if it is more of a dry vermouth/quina relationship.
    Sorry to jump in here, but I think they are definitely different IMO, with Cynar a bit brasher and more bitter, while the Cardamaro is more delicate and sweet. The Cynar works better with soda and the Cardamaro is better for neat sipping, IMHO, but both are very versatile, though not exactly interchangeable. Get yourself some Cynar though, if you like the more bitter end of things.

Connoisseur

Yeah, I don't think they are interchangeable. I just tasted them side by side. Cardamaro is more syrupy and sweet, Cynar is dryer and more bitter. If I had to pick one it would be Cynar.

Guru

More like a highball, Barton and Perrier over ice.

Advanced Taster

Drinking a dark and stormy made of Ron Abuelo 12 year and Gosling's ginger beer. The frau likes them and I figured why not have one with supper.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Wryguy View Post
    Sorry to jump in here, but I think they are definitely different IMO, with Cynar a bit brasher and more bitter, while the Cardamaro is more delicate and sweet. The Cynar works better with soda and the Cardamaro is better for neat sipping, IMHO, but both are very versatile, though not exactly interchangeable. Get yourself some Cynar though, if you like the more bitter end of things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    Yeah, I don't think they are interchangeable. I just tasted them side by side. Cardamaro is more syrupy and sweet, Cynar is dryer and more bitter. If I had to pick one it would be Cynar.
    Thanks for the feedback. I agree with your impressions of it. I had picked up the Cardamaro on a whim some months back based on an amaro thread on eGullet. I was surprised when I opened it because I was expecting something similar to what (I imagine) Cynar tastes like. It's too bad the two of them don't occupy apposite parts of the spectrum, since I can't find many Cardamaro recipes. Any favorites?

Advanced Taster

A gunshop fizz. Great aperitif!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	172.5 KB 
ID:	15482

Disciple

A damn good Sazerac at the Carousel bar in NOLA.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011