Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Connoisseur

My silicone stopper experiment

Since I keep around 100 bottles open, evaporation is a concern of mine. I picked up several tapered silicone wine stoppers while in Palisade this year thinking they might be the perfect cork stopper replacement. I decided to do an experiment. I put a stopper in a shot glass and filled it and an empty shot glass with FRYL, covered them, and left them for 2 months. Tonight I did a blind tasting and could clearly pick out the silicone batch. Also the stopper had bleached out a bit. FWIW I'm not using the stoppers.

Disciple

Re: My silicone stopper experiment

Fine experiment, I don't keep more than 15 open at a time and also empty them as quickly as possible

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Since I keep around 100 bottles open

100?!?!

it'd take me about 8 years to BUY 100, since i might go out and get one a month

Connoisseur

I'm actually down from around 120. I can't seem to resist getting everything (or nearly so) new. Then I can't resist trying it when I get home (or even before). If I really like it and can't get more i hate to finish it. So the opened ones build up. My wife and I each have a room for our stuff now that he kids are gone.

And this doesn't include the tequila, rum, scotch, Irish, etc collections. Fortunately, I seem to have a few friends that like to come over and drink with me....
    Last edited by Enoch; 09-17-2013 at 18:26.

Guru

Thanks for sharing that Enoch! I have some VaccuVin stoppers I bought mostly for bottles where the @#$%^ corks broke, and I didn't have another complete bottle to decant in. I threw some parafin film on the Amazon wishlist, so hoping that will come from Santa this holiday
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

if it's the silicone tapered stopper, seems like it could get knocked out? parafilm works good, not just for sealing, but also for holding the stopper down tight.

Connoisseur

Quick Question:
    Did the Silicone-Stoppered one taste better or lousier than the other????

Connoisseur

I'm actually down from around 120. I can't seem to resist getting everything (or nearly so) new. Then I can't resist trying it when I get home (or even before). If I really like it and can't get more i hate to finish it. So the opened ones build up. My wife and I each have a room for our stuff now that he kids are gone.

And this doesn't include the tequila, rum, scotch, Irish, etc collections. Fortunately, I seem to have a few friends that like to come over and drink with me....
    Enoch, I have similar problem with resisting to buy stuff and then opening them. I must have at least 50 bottles opened right now and have no idea how to finish them or when. I might have to start giving some away.
    - H

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by hn4bourbon View Post
    Enoch, I have similar problem with resisting to buy stuff and then opening them. I must have at least 50 bottles opened right now and have no idea how to finish them or when. I might have to start giving some away.
    PM me for a mailing address! I know exactly how to finish them.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Guru

I'm in precisely the same boat when you add in all the single malts, Irish and tequila. Honestly, I don't sweat it too much. I've never had the experience of opening a half-full bottle down the line and been terribly put off by changes in the aroma/flavor. I view it as just that--changes--and drink 'em on down with my friends.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet