Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33
  1. #1
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Jacksonville FL
    Posts
    216

    Lesson Learned........Maybe

    Ive been on SB for a little less than a year now. I read the forum almost daily and add my two cents from time to time. One of the biggest lessons Ive learned is that the price and quality of bourbon are not linked. Great bourbon can be had on the cheap, and there are some terrible "top shelf" drams. Having learned this lesson, I was wandering my local liquor store, and I thought "Ive never had a rye whisky, I should buy some" Ritt is not available in FL to my knowledge, and the only other rye I remember reading about is saz. I tried to apply my earlier lesson of price and quality to this purchase. I ended up with a bottle of old overholt. I got home and tried it as soon as I walked in the door. It isnt very good. Do I not like rye? I seem to like high rye bourbon. Then I did a little research here. It turns out most of you dont like OO either. I know through the process you come across bottles you just dont care for. I found one today. Good news, it didnt cost me much, and its not bad as a mixer for my friends who dont know any better. Will I make more blind choices, probably. But I will try to be more informed. If all else fails, Squire has influenced me to buy more OGD.

  2. #2
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    1,106

    Lesson Learned........Maybe

    What also helped me a lot is not only pre-screening with SB.com, but also know who's taste profile is similar to yours as well.

    What one may like you may not like at all. But once you know who's like matches yours, that would make your first purchase choice more successful.

    I also like the side by side tasting notes so you have a point of reference, say the control is something that you have tasted already as well.

    Finally, when I first started on Sb.com, I reviewed member's profile for what their "recommended" are and what they group together and try that - matching especially to a member you think like what you like.

  3. #3
    Guru
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    2,324

    Re: Lesson Learned........Maybe

    Quote Originally Posted by jonhalter View Post
    Ive been on SB for a little less than a year now. I read the forum almost daily and add my two cents from time to time. One of the biggest lessons Ive learned is that the price and quality of bourbon are not linked. Great bourbon can be had on the cheap, and there are some terrible "top shelf" drams. Having learned this lesson, I was wandering my local liquor store, and I thought "Ive never had a rye whisky, I should buy some" Ritt is not available in FL to my knowledge, and the only other rye I remember reading about is saz. I tried to apply my earlier lesson of price and quality to this purchase. I ended up with a bottle of old overholt. I got home and tried it as soon as I walked in the door. It isnt very good. Do I not like rye? I seem to like high rye bourbon. Then I did a little research here. It turns out most of you dont like OO either. I know through the process you come across bottles you just dont care for. I found one today. Good news, it didnt cost me much, and its not bad as a mixer for my friends who dont know any better. Will I make more blind choices, probably. But I will try to be more informed. If all else fails, Squire has influenced me to buy more OGD.


    i couldnt have said it better myself. ive probably pissed off more than a few here about my pricing rants. i had the same experience with OO. i like high ryes, so i tried a cheap straight rye.....OO. terrible crap, couldnt even use it in my BBQ sauce, and its the only thing ive poured down the drain. I havent tried Ritt yet, only because i rarely see it here....id give it a shot just because its a rye experiment, its cheap, its well liked here, and its 100 proof (my minimum).

    i basically enjoy the experimenting process. i try something new most every time i go to the liquor store. lots of things i decide ill likely never buy again, and a few things i keep around.

    squire is a big advocate of OGD BIB, and he is onto something. while i dont personally care for the BIB, i do love the 114.

    keep experimenting! youre onto the biggest idea already - price doesnt mean much, quality is all over the board. my favorites range from $10-50, and include both HH BIB's, OGD 114, KC120, and Bookers. I never buy bookers though due to the price, and i only have a stash of KC120 because i found a clearance and wiped them out.........so my regulars are $10-20, and i enjoy them more than most things ive tried at twice the price, or higher.

  4. #4
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    NWGA
    Posts
    1,811

    Re: Lesson Learned........Maybe

    Very well put and I agree with what you say. May I suggest the GDR, at $20 I think you'll see a marked improvement ove the OO which I totally agree with, bad stuff

  5. #5
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    12,225

    Re: Lesson Learned........Maybe

    It's really a shame what Beam has done to Old Overholt. It has a fairly high rye content in the mashbill (close to 60%) but rather than showcase this (as HH does Rittenhouse) Beam chooses to let the brand languish as a 36 month old 80 proof with indifferent barrel selection. One would think they view it as competition for the regular Beam Rye.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

  6. #6
    Guru
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    2,373

    Re: Lesson Learned........Maybe

    Shame that Ritt BIB isn't available. I'm a rye fan, but found I didn't like GDR (and also didn't like OO). After Ritt, the next best ryes (IMHO) are going to run in the mid $30s (Jefferson 10yr, or Willett 4yr). I can't think of anything between $20 and $35 (at least in Atlanta) that I would reach for in a rye. Does Jim have any Willett ryes at the store/bar? Next time you're in Atlanta we can definitely line up a nice rye tasting
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

  7. #7
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    12,225

    Re: Lesson Learned........Maybe

    Jon you might check with your local ABC store for some Wild Turkey Rye 101, if they don't have any in stock it can be ordered from another store through their system.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

  8. #8
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    474

    Re: Lesson Learned........Maybe

    Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    Shame that Ritt BIB isn't available. I'm a rye fan, but found I didn't like GDR (and also didn't like OO). After Ritt, the next best ryes (IMHO) are going to run in the mid $30s (Jefferson 10yr, or Willett 4yr). I can't think of anything between $20 and $35 (at least in Atlanta) that I would reach for in a rye.
    I would put Baby Saz in this class, by way of quality and price. Really nice rye in my opinion, at under $30.

  9. #9
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Just East of the Big Chicken, GA
    Posts
    6,065

    Re: Lesson Learned........Maybe

    I don't find anything "bad" or offensive with overholt, I just find it incredibly boring, bland, nearly tasteless, and the meer mention of it's name induces me to nod off to sle...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzz...Wha?...What happened?!?!...Is that you ma??? Anywho, these ain't qualities I'm lookin for in a rye! Quite to the contrary, I want to be bitch slapped by my ryes...and by Adriana Lima dressed in a black leather Catwoman outfit, with red...ahem...but I digress...
    Please don't make your final verdict on rye whiskey based on your OO experience. Continue your quest, and seek out some others, and see if you can find one in your wheelhouse. FWIW, my own experience with ryes has illustrated to me that each distillery's rye has it 's own very distinct house style that goes well beyond the house style differences in their bourbon offerings. Here's 3 I'd try...Baby Saz, LDI (GD, Bulliet, Willett, et al), WT101 (if you can find a dusty), and Knob Creek (bitch slapper )...wait, that's 4...No matter...Personally, I'm in the 3% minority who does not dig the Ritt (too bourbony, but looking forward to trying the new make from DSP1), but too many love it for you not to go for it.

    Just keep 'sperimentin'!
    JOE

    Wag more.
    Bark less.

    "Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

  10. #10
    Guru
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    2,324

    Re: Lesson Learned........Maybe

    Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    I want to be bitch slapped by my ryes...and by Adriana Lima dressed in a black leather Catwoman outfit, with red...ahem...but I digress...


    i agree, but id prefer Carol Seleme.......with hair, of course

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Lesson of the day
    By swampguy in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-18-2007, 20:19

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top