Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Popularity of Flavored Whiskeys

Most of us here rightfully disdain Red Stag, Jack Daniel's Honey and the rest, but make no mistake, they are very popular. The other day in my local supermarket, they had a Jack Daniel's end cap display and half of it was Old No. 7, the other half was Jack Daniel's Honey.

Although sometimes companies can get more shelf facings than they deserve, for the most part facings are a good indicator of popularity. If your store has five facings of Jim Beam White Label and three facings of Red Stag, you can be pretty confident that they are selling three bottles of Red Stag for every five bottles they're selling of Jim Beam White. And since you can't have less than one facing and be in the store, that store is selling at least three-times as much Red Stag as they are anything with a single facing.

Jim Beam's marketing muscle can gain sampling and initial placement, but this product has now been on the market for a couple of years. It's getting plenty of repurchase.

A former poster here had a good use for Red Stag. She mixed it with Knob Creek.

Enthusiast

Re: Popularity of Flavored Whiskeys

Red Stag and the rest, I guess, is here (Germany) more popular than the "real" whiskey. You get it in every Bar, mostly girls drink it.
    "With your bitch slap rappin' and your cocaine tongue, you get nothin' done"

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I assume Germany is the same as the U.S., in that we like it when girls drink.

Enthusiast

Yeah, sure we do like Girls who drink. But the Red Stag and Honey stuff is advertised as the real deal of whiskey, even in cinema. In a country where JD and JB and sometimes Maker's is available, this is really not cool. I won't complain, though, I order my stuff from the internet.

Connoisseur

Well, end caps are often bought and facing often vary with stock in the stores I frequent. Five facings of discounted Pink Revenge only indicates a lack of sales, not popularity.

Advanced Taster

I had a bourbon and cherry coke a while back and thought it tasted pretty good. I thought maybe a cherry flavored bourbon and coke may taste good also. I picked up a bottle of Evan Williams cherry and after I got it home I noticed that it wasn't even 80 proof and was called a liqueur. I didn't care much for the taste, I did go ahead and finished off the bottle though. I have been meaning to pick up a bottle of Red Stag when I find it on sale because at 80 proof I feel it may be a superior product compared to Evan Williams cherry. Now that it is being labled as girls whiskey, out of fear of being seen buying it at the store I will have my wife pick it up for me.
    Jim

Enthusiast

Haha, my gf bought a bottle of Red Stag, I found it awful, really, nothing against it, though, she likes it. Never had the EV cherry, it is simply not available. Southern Comfort is very popular here, too.

Connoisseur

Girls and kids like sweet drinks.

Give them a dry martini made with Bombay Blue and garnished with garlic stuffed queen olives, watch them spit it out.

He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Connoisseur

You know we'll all curse Red Stag until the wife makes the ultimate error and brings how George T Stagg by mistake. Then we'll all happily run out and buy a bottle of Red Stag for the wife.

Connoisseur

I have a bottle of Red Stag and an Evan Williams honey. Neither one is for drinking. They are for pouring over pound cake.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.