Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Popularity of Flavored Whiskeys

Didn't mean to step on your toes there, Chuck! I should have figured that you get their emails as well.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

No problem. Great minds.

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    You can hate the flavored products but you can't deny their success. This from Shanken today.

"According to Impact Databank, Tennessee Honey ($22 a 750-ml.) advanced by 52% to 485,000 cases in the U.S. last year, while its global net sales nearly doubled in the nine months through January, marking the first three-quarters of Brown-Forman’s fiscal year. In addition to the U.S., where off-premise growth has been accelerating, the U.K. is also driving global sales for the brand."

I don't think Red Stag is quite that high, but it's in the same ballpark. Compare that--400,000 to 500,000 cases--to something like Maker's Mark or Wild Turkey, which each sell about a million cases. Tennessee Honey, on the market for less than three years, is half the size of Maker's Mark, on the market for 50 years.

(Higgins and I appear to have posted simultaneously.)
    Cant deny their success (or the fact that we will see many more flavors of "whiskey" in the future).

However, I am also curious if those number are cases shipped to distributors, cases sold from distributors to stores or cases sold to consumers. BF has made a big push for "placements" with the Tennessee Honey line. Placements can help sales but also might artificially inflate the numbers if the source is cases shipped to distributors or cases sold by distributors. If stores are sitting on huge inventories of these products (like we are right now), those numbers may not be indicative of sales to the consumer.

Guru

Here's some sales figures:
    http://www.beveragemedia.com/index.p...ads-to-growth/

In 2011, its first year, Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Honey sold 320,000 cases. Launched in 2009, Jim Beam Red Stag sold 300,000 cases in 2011, up 40% from 2010; the brand also just introduced two new flavors—Honey Tea and Cinnamon. Performance in 2011 was also solid for Wild Turkey American Honey (230,000 cases), Evan Williams Honey Reserve and Cherry Reserve (100,000 cases) and Seagrams 7 Crown Honey and Cherry (80,000 cases). Evan Williams added a Cinnamon Reserve in February 2012 and is introducing a new seasonal product called Apple Orchard in September 2012. Hailed as the first bourbon-based apple-cider liqueur at 34 proof, the point of sale materials will promote “A Bushel of Flavor Meets a Barrel of Smoothness.” Apple Orchard retails for $11.99.

Diageo’s popular Jeremiah Weed brand offers a Sweet Tea Bourbon as well as a 90 proof Cherry Mash Flavored Blended Bourbon. And in a clear sign that the company is bullish on flavor, earlier this year Diageo acquired Cabin Fever Maple Flavored Whisky, a small New England-based craft brand aged 3 years and infused with dark maple syrup.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Connoisseur

You don't suppose anyone could confuse Red Stag with that other Stagg? Nah. Totally improbable.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Connoisseur

I have to be honest. I have not had any super sweet whiskey since I was 16 and guzzled a pint of Southern Comfort in 10 minutes, then threw half of it up, then passed out for about 12 hours.
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Guru

Hey, if my honey wants honey that's what she gets.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by P&MLiquorsEric View Post
    Cant deny their success (or the fact that we will see many more flavors of "whiskey" in the future).

However, I am also curious if those number are cases shipped to distributors, cases sold from distributors to stores or cases sold to consumers. BF has made a big push for "placements" with the Tennessee Honey line. Placements can help sales but also might artificially inflate the numbers if the source is cases shipped to distributors or cases sold by distributors. If stores are sitting on huge inventories of these products (like we are right now), those numbers may not be indicative of sales to the consumer.
    I suspect what they're quoting is producer depletions, but it doesn't matter. It's a year's worth of numbers, so it covers all three. On something like Jack, that inventory moves through the pipeline fast. It has to. If you hold onto it you're tying up a lot of capital and warehouse space, and why would you?

If you're theorizing that they're forcing it into the pipeline but it's sitting in the stores, well, it's not. That might be reflected in figures for a month, but not for a year. And it's been on the market, and selling like this, for a couple years now. Sorry, people are buying the stuff. Deal with it.
    Last edited by cowdery; 04-11-2013 at 18:53.

Connoisseur

Luckily, none of us has to deal with it. We can blithely ignore it. Flavored whiskies are competing with flavored vodkas. My interest in either is equal to the null set. When Four Roses puts out a flavored whiskey, I'll start idly wondering why. As for the rest, could anyone imagine a better way to dispose of rot-gut whisky than to flavor it?
    Last edited by MauiSon; 04-11-2013 at 19:08.

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Alden View Post
    I have to be honest. I have not had any super sweet whiskey since I was 16 and guzzled a pint of Southern Comfort in 10 minutes, then threw half of it up, then passed out for about 12 hours.
    IIRC, Southern Comfort hasn't had a whiskey component in a long time. I believe it is GNS based now.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?