Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Popularity of Flavored Whiskeys

Red Stag might just be the most awful stuff I ever tried. But, hey.... if other people like it, I have no problem with it. Different strokes and all that.

Enthusiast

A couple months ago, I was playing a drinking game at a bar with a bunch of friends. The second place loser had to pick a shot and pay for it. The first place loser had to take the shot. The whole idea was make it as painful as possible for the first place loser. Red Stag was picked more than anything else, and they even had that nasty "Qream with a Q" drink. That says something about the Stag...

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MauiSon View Post
    Well, end caps are often bought and facing often vary with stock in the stores I frequent. Five facings of discounted Pink Revenge only indicates a lack of sales, not popularity.
    You're talking about exceptions, which I conceded, and although consideration may be provided for a special display location, it's not sufficient compensation if the displayed product doesn't sell through. The rule holds, shelf and floor space are good indicators of sales unless, of course, the store is poorly run. Any store that bases facings on inventory is, by definition, poorly run. Both should be based on sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolph Lundgren View Post
    A couple months ago, I was playing a drinking game at a bar with a bunch of friends. The second place loser had to pick a shot and pay for it. The first place loser had to take the shot. The whole idea was make it as painful as possible for the first place loser. Red Stag was picked more than anything else, and they even had that nasty "Qream with a Q" drink. That says something about the Stag...
    Clearly, they didn't have Malort.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    But, hey.... if other people like it, I have no problem with it. Different strokes and all that.
    Couldn't agree more. Personally I haven't tried a Cherry or Honey product I didn't like as they all seem to suit my sweet tooth.... but I couldn't drink them every day. They're an occasional pour when I don't feel like a bourbon or rye and want something sweeter. I like that drinking them means I'm supporting my favourite brands, but when the desire to drink something sweeter hits, I could just as easily pour a glass of port, Baileys or some other sweet liquor.

Truth be told, I've gone through a couple bottles of Red Stag since it came out. For what it is, it's well made, but if you don't like that sort of thing, you won't like it. That's okay.

Connoisseur

Regarding post #13, I don't think so. Endcaps in every store I've visited have been reserved for new items (bought, one way or another) or clearance (items the store wants to move, not that actually sell better). Best-selling items rarely receive much push. As for facings, one or two on every item is the rule, any deviation is rare.

As for flavored whiskey - no interest whatsoever (and what's it gonna taste like after 20 years in the bunker?).
    Last edited by MauiSon; 04-08-2013 at 16:56.

Novice

I actually enjoy Jack Daniels Honey with crushed ice when I'm trying to satisfy a sweet craving. I only drink it once or twice a month with the rest of the time enjoying good bourbon neat.

Apprentice

Popularity of Flavored Whiskeys

I'll check our store's sales history tommorrow, Jim Beam v Red Stag and Jack v Jack Honey. Without looking though, i can safely say we sell a boat-load more of the standard products. We purchase Beam 1.75s 10 cases at time versus Stag one case at a time.

Chances are that brown foreman offered a good deal on both black and honey. Often times they will want case stacks or endcap facings of both honey and black in return for a good deal. The honey might be equal in facing because they have more stock of it.

In my store in the heart or bourbon country, black outsells honey 5 to 1 with Jd. The numbers are closer with wild turkey honey and 101.

Beam honey is just now hitting KY. Line priced with red stagg. Curious how that will work considering the honey tea was a resounding flop.